Gas water heater with FVIR

Robert Jones

I need some closure one way or another. For a gas water heater that is FVIR compliant, is the installation governed by the local muni or manufacturer installation instruction? Dealing with a 2007 built water heater sitting on the garage slab. Obviously it's OK with the manufacturer as the burner is enclosed, but, I am thinking that the local muni has final call.

Rob I am with you on this that the local AHJ or municipality has final say. I have seen a similar question posed on other HI forums and guys have debated the issue till they were blue in the face. We have one municipal inspector around here that wants a particular item done a certain way. Building code does not say it has to be done. Manufactures do not say it needs to be done. However, he will not sign off on it till it is done. He wins every time.

If it's 2007, it's not new construction so it "was (or was not)" inspected by the local plumbing inspector at the time, wasn't it? If he's approved it, you're beating a dead horse. If it's not inspected and stickered around here, I tell em:

All water heater installations are supposed to be inspected by the state plumbing inspector who is supposed to put a dated sticker on the water heater indicating the inspector's approval of the installation. There is no plumbing inspection sticker present. Consult the seller to determine if the water heater was properly inspected and ask them to provide, in writing, the state plumbing inspectors approval of the installation.

Sometimes it's a cheap homeowner who just didn't ask for the plumbing inspector's blessing. Sometimes it's the plumber. Sometimes there are problems with the installation. Sometimes there's not.

It's the local muni guys.

Some of them take a belt and suspenders approach and force builders to mount FVIR water heaters 18+ inches off the floor. I think they're finally getting used to the idea and some are now allowing them on the floor. If that was built only six years ago, that's the original water heater and the local muni guy should have given it a thumbs up or they shouldn't have been able to get an O.C.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Around here, there's no problem with placing FVIR water heaters on the garage slab.

Be aware that, if the FVIR mechanism is ever called upon to do its thing, then the water heater has to be replaced. So putting it up 18" might save someone the cost of a water heater at some point.

On the other hand, I've only heard of these things actually doing their thing, um, well, never. So, I don't suppose that the risk is very great.

The water heater was a replacement as the home was built in 1989. I am guessing the home owner did it. I didn't make a huge stink out of it. I explained what the manufacturer allows and that it really is up to the local muni. I cover a pretty broad area so I am not up to speed with every muni. Actually I have seen one area that allows it. All other new construction, it's still the 18" rule.

Be aware that, if the FVIR mechanism is ever called upon to do its thing, then the water heater has to be replaced.

My understanding is that there are thermal release device reset/repair kits for at least some of the manufacturer's water heaters such as Rheem/Ruud/Richmond/GE....

I believe that if there's a true flammable vapor incidence, the manufacturer calls for water heater replacement. If the safety fails for other reasons, then repairs are possible.

Be aware that, if the FVIR mechanism is ever called upon to do its thing, then the water heater has to be replaced.

My understanding is that there are thermal release device reset/repair kits for at least some of the manufacturer's water heaters such as Rheem/Ruud/Richmond/GE....

I believe that if there's a true flammable vapor incidence, the manufacturer calls for water heater replacement. If the safety fails for other reasons, then repairs are possible.

The safety issue I see overlooked here is the lack of any kind of bollard to keep the car from slamming into it. Not required. I call for one anyway.

Same thing here, in some districts the heaters are elevated regardless of the flame guard design.