Double Tap

Mark P

This is a push-matic type panel from 1981. I know that Cuttler Hamer and Square D have breakers that are designed for 2 circuits. Looking at these breakers it looks like these may have been desiged for 2 circuits - but I don't know - which is why I'm asking. Does anyone know if this breaker is designed for 2 circuits?

Inside the panel the left side is all the 220V circuits and the right side the 120V.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201353112313_069.jpg

66.58 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201353112344_070.jpg

46.66 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20135311249_072.jpg

37.53 KB

Erby is the man. If an electrician were to add a pigtail and a wire nut, it would be more correct. AFAIK, only the newer Square D and newer Cutler Hammer CH breaker are officially permitted to take two wires,

(and those two should be the same gauge, but that might just be me.

There is less chance of one oversized wire being doubled with a smaller one but we see it all out there.)

So I would call for the addition of a pigtail. That old equipment should have a good checkup anyway. Again, some people may disagree and say that Bulldogs are the best. Where are they now? Are they as sensitive as the newer technology breakers? [?]

This is a push-matic type panel from 1981. I know that Cuttler Hamer and Square D have breakers that are designed for 2 circuits. Looking at these breakers it looks like these may have been desiged for 2 circuits - but I don't know - which is why I'm asking. Does anyone know if this breaker is designed for 2 circuits?

The breaker is designed to hold only one wire, not two. There are a few ways to fix it. I wouldn't prescribe a wire nut.

A 1981 Pushmatic panel will be as good or better than any other panel from 1981.