Anybody recognize this gal?

I just walked into my house and was buzzed by what seemed to be a humming bird. When she finally landed I got this shot.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2013531144143_0531131313.jpg

87.52 KB

Her wings were an inch long, and she was at least 1 3/4" from snout to stinger.

Very aggressive. Her bad attitude got her squished instead of guided out the door.

Not a cicada - it's the cicada killer wasp, aka ground digger wasp. Right now they're very active. You'll see holes in the ground about 3/8" for their burrows.

The females might seem aggressive, but don't sting very often. Males can't sting. The females paralyze cicadas, bring them back into the burrow and lay eggs inside the carcass.

Not a cicada - it's the cicada killer wasp, aka ground digger wasp. Right now they're very active. You'll see holes in the ground about 3/8" for their burrows.

The females might seem aggressive, but don't sting very often. Males can't sting. The females paralyze cicadas, bring them back into the burrow and lay eggs inside the carcass.

I Googled them. The coloring is a little off, but seems to be pretty variable. The thorax is shaped differently too, longer and more elliptical, but this seems pretty variable as well. Must be several varieties.

Just squashed another one. I can't wait to mow over one of their burrows.