Black drips on roof. Cause?

Welmoed

The roof on yesterday's house had these black drips on about half the roof planes. They weren't sticky. Owner has been there 8 years and said the drips were there when he bought the house and have not changed. Roof was stated to be about 10 years old.

A little research seems to show that this was a manufacturing defect, so it might still be covered by a warranty. But the owner has no documentation as to brand or who installed it. Buyer's concern is that the drips could affect the life of the shingle, or that it's easier for water to penetrate.

Has anyone else seen this, and, if so, what did you report?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201472210840_BlackRoofDrips.jpg

69.34 KB

sure appears to be a mfr defect unless they were hand sealed for whatever reason with an improper product...did you try to lift any for better view of sealant

possibly Certainteed Grand Manor

http://www.certainteed.com/products/roo ... ial/308581

i've emailed mfr the image(s) for clients & owners & requested a company rep view on site to prescribe a remedy

The roof on yesterday's house had these black drips on about half the roof planes. They weren't sticky. Owner has been there 8 years and said the drips were there when he bought the house and have not changed. Roof was stated to be about 10 years old.

A little research seems to show that this was a manufacturing defect, so it might still be covered by a warranty. But the owner has no documentation as to brand or who installed it. Buyer's concern is that the drips could affect the life of the shingle, or that it's easier for water to penetrate.

Has anyone else seen this, and, if so, what did you report?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201472210840_BlackRoofDrips.jpg

69.34 KB

Those are, indeed, Grand Manors.

I've never seen it personally, but there was a dust up about this very problem several years ago. It affected CertainTeed's Grand Manor and Presidential shingles. The owner would have been wise to make a warranty claim at once. The warranty coverage on those things drops off fast after a number of years.

They are CertainTeed Grand Manor. I heard back from the manufacturer that this does indeed look like a manufacturing defect, and they said the owner should contact them for possible warranty replacement. I passed along that information to the client's agent to give to the listing agent and owner. What will probably end up happening is that buyer will hold onto the information, negotiate a price drop for the "bad roof", buy the house, then hammer CertainTeed for a warranty replacement.

They are CertainTeed Grand Manor. I heard back from the manufacturer that this does indeed look like a manufacturing defect, and they said the owner should contact them for possible warranty replacement. I passed along that information to the client's agent to give to the listing agent and owner. What will probably end up happening is that buyer will hold onto the information, negotiate a price drop for the "bad roof", buy the house, then hammer CertainTeed for a warranty replacement.

I'm sure a price reduction will be negotiated but clandestinely, would you agree that in practice, the actual impact of that defect is minimal?

Just curious.

Marc

Of course they will. But at this point in the life of the shingles, they're not going to get much out of CertainTeed. Eight years ago, they would have gotten much more, maybe even a new roof. Now they're going to get $1.92.

. . . I'm sure a price reduction will be negotiated but clandestinely, would you agree that in practice, the actual impact of that defect is minimal?

The defect is purely cosmetic. However, one of the reasons why a person would pay the (rather high) price for Grand Manors is because that person wants the roof to look cosmetically appealing and not like Goober's garage floor.