Windows - Vinyl or Fiberglass?

Mike Lamb

Does anyone have informed opinions on vinyl vs. fiberglass windows? I have read fiberglass is superior because it doesn't expand/contract much. It does cost about 50% more than vinyl.

I don't recommend wood windows because I see too much rot within 15 yrs. even with better brands.

I could write a book on this topic. Quality fenestration has little to do with what the product is made from and everything to do with how it is made. Good materials, excellent engineering, continuous quality control, and feedback from the field make good products. The push to make it in the big box, or to get an extra 100 units out per week, not so much.

The brands consumers associate with quality in the fenestration industry are generally far from it.

I could write a book on this topic. Quality fenestration has little to do with what the product is made from and everything to do with how it is made. Good materials, excellent engineering, continuous quality control, and feedback from the field make good products. The push to make it in the big box, or to get an extra 100 units out per week, not so much.

The brands consumers associate with quality in the fenestration industry are generally far from it.

I had to look up "fenestration", dang that's a $5 word! The word "Windows" is a heck of lot easier, IMVHO....

Fenestration refers to the design, construction, or presence of openings in a building. Fenestration includes windows, doors, louvers, vents, wall panels, skylights, storefronts, curtain walls, and slope glazed systems.

Quality fenestration has little to do with what the product is made from and everything to do with how it is made. Good materials, excellent engineering, continuous quality control, and feedback from the field make good products.

Yes. I've even seen some decent vinyl windows, although in general they're the low end.

There are some new foam filled fiberglass windows that will probably become the standard of quality in the future.

Does anyone have informed opinions on vinyl vs. fiberglass windows? I have read fiberglass is superior because it doesn't expand/contract much. It does cost about 50% more than vinyl.

I don't recommend wood windows because I see too much rot within 15 yrs. even with better brands.

Are you including vinyl or aluminum clad windows when you say they rot within 15 years. I have seen some that have, but certainty not most. Around here there are many clad Andersen and Pella windows that are 30 year old with no rot. As for fiberglass, I have read good things about them, but in 29 years I cannot recall seeing any. I generally hate vinyl windows, but there are some that are ok.

I had to look up "fenestration", dang that's a $5 word! The word "Windows" is a heck of lot easier, IMVHO....

Fenestration refers to the design, construction, or presence of openings in a building. Fenestration includes windows, doors, louvers, vents, wall panels, skylights, storefronts, curtain walls, and slope glazed systems.

The word window is great, if you're just talking about windows. But if you need to talk about fenestrations, there's really no other word.

It's a very common term in multifamily and commercial construction. Not so much in single family.

Are you including vinyl or aluminum clad windows when you say they rot within 15 years. I have seen some that have, but certainty not most. Around here there are many clad Andersen and Pella windows that are 30 year old with no rot.

I don't see 30 year old wood windows rotting or 50-year-old wood windows rotting. I see aluminum clad wood windows 10 to 15 years old rotting at an alarming rate. I think it has everything to do with how young the trees are when they are harvested.

I see aluminum clad wood windows 10 to 15 years old rotting at an alarming rate. I think it has everything to do with how young the trees are when they are harvested.

I do too. Lotta rotten windows.

It's tree farm punk wood that's the problem. Or worse, finger jointed tree farm punk wood.

I do too. Lotta rotten windows.

It's tree farm punk wood that's the problem. Or worse, finger jointed tree farm punk wood.

I hear ya on the finger jointed junk! I do a lot of work in an area near the Minneapolis airport and in the late 90's/early 00's the airport commission paid for houses to be soundproofed, including new windows.

Now, I'm seeing tons of rot at the lower trim and sills of these replacement windows. The sashes are fine, it the sills and lower brickmold that are going.

Jim