ASTM F 1637

ayruth

[?]

Question: Have a bldg. constructed in 1985. Large Concrete porch has a straight step down about 6 feet from door that is 5 and a half inches, and then porch area still another 3 feet before steps. Does F 1637 have application to bldg. that old? If not what does. Does this violate any code concerning walking safety?

Effort to better describe. Commercial establishment has concrete deck that is about 2 feet above ground level. The deck has a single step down onto more deck. the step down is 5 and a half inches. About 6 feet further away there are three steps to get to ground level.

My issue is with the 5 and a half foot step down. I consider it a trip hazard, but is there a code violation. Bldg constructed 1985. I hope to be able to send photo. [^]mailto:

I am the one who asked question...those who answered asked for photo. I have but don't know how to send...I'm new. Help/

Thanks ayruth

• When you post a reply, look down, just below the box that you type in.

You'll see choices for "Upload a Linked File" and "Upload a Visible Picture."

Click on either one.

A box will pop up.

Hit the "Browse" button in the box and find the file name of the picture you want to upload.

Once you've found it, click on it, then click on the "Upload" button.

Then repeat as necessary for multiple pictures.

Thing's are a little different in Canada...

What is the text of the legislation that calls for ASTM F 1637? I assume it defines the application of building codes by construction date, and may optionally apply to older buildings, depending on the extent of a renovation.

Lets say a particular building code does apply. What is the text of the code? Does it call for walkways to meet ASTM for residential buildings? ...for other than principal entrances?

All of the above notwithstanding, the Standard Practice for Safe Walking Surfaces calls for changes of level greater than 1/2 in. (12 mm) shall be transitioned by means of a ramp or stairway that complies with applicable building codes, regulations, standards, or ordinances, or all of these.

The National Building Code of Canada specifies a minimum rise of 125 mm (~5") for residential stairs.

However:

The 3' area sounds like a landing which cannot be shorter than the width of the stairs, or 860 mm (~34").

If this stair is inside the porch, the minimum risers is 3

Perhaps your codes are similar.

Your description sounds like a good application for a 1:12 ramp, about 5 degrees, to replace that first 6' section.

Are Americans applying building codes to home inspections (not new construction inspections)? I would consider this informational only... at best, useful if a client were considering renovations.

Effort to better describe. Commercial establishment has concrete deck that is about 2 feet above ground level. The deck has a single step down onto more deck. the step down is 5 and a half inches. About 6 feet further away there are three steps to get to ground level.

My issue is with the 5 and a half foot step down. I consider it a trip hazard, but is there a code violation. Bldg constructed 1985. I hope to be able to send photo.

You mean 5 and a half *inch* step, right?

Since you're an attorney and, I presume, this is related to a case you're working on, my best advice is to find a local code expert. The guy you want is Dr. Tore Knos in Marietta: 770 953-0767. He's a little far away, but he knows his codes.