Handyman strikes again

Jim Baird

Most homeowner handymen stake a claim on the turf of Common Sense, but this one doesn't seem to belong there.

What could he have been thinking? I had to use a flashlight and a mirror to see the label on this water heater. At replacement time the hammers and crowbars will have to come out.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201552993844_HPIM4916.jpg

36.47 KB

I'll see your closet WH and raise you a Wall Cabinet WH (laundry room).

Click to Enlarge
tn_201552916572_Pictures%20003.jpg

56.03 KB

I've taken eight courses in calculus and still can't figure how that 30 gal, 275 LB water heater has yet to bust that cabinet.

Only time I've ever seen a cab door hinged at the bottom.

Marc

...the wall cabinet is a testament to the strength of drywall screws and particle board, both of which I'm sure hold everything up there.

I have come to think of Common Sense as a mythical land that lives in everyone's dreams, but where many have never been. Some are born there, some find it by accident or on purpose, but others only arrive there after their final, ultimate wrong turn on the path.

I'll see your closet WH and raise you a Wall Cabinet WH (laundry room).

Click to Enlarge
tn_201552916572_Pictures%20003.jpg

56.03 KB

I've taken eight courses in calculus and still can't figure how that 30 gal, 275 LB water heater has yet to bust that cabinet.

Only time I've ever seen a cab door hinged at the bottom.

Marc

Yes, you're seeing this correctly.......under the kitchen counter in the corner.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015529194112_DSCN7138.jpg

25.14 KB

There is a ski resort near me with a dozen townhouses built between 68 and 71 laid out just like that. More than half of the water heaters are still under the original tops and cabinets.