What are these devises?

Trent Tarter

Not sure what theses devises are, possible surge protection?. They're attached to both service masts, home has 2-200 amp panels. They are connected to smaller service mast in center, wish I would have taken some better pictures, any ideas what these are for. Wire insulation looks a little rough.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015627222940_Service%20entrance%20(2).jpg

43.83 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2015627223020_Service%20entrance%20(1).jpg

83.07 KB

Actually John, it's "transformers":

"When current in a circuit is too high to apply directly to measuring instruments, a current transformer produces a reduced current accurately proportional to the current in the circuit, which can be conveniently connected to measuring and recording instruments. A current transformer isolates the measuring instruments from what may be very high voltage in the monitored circuit."

Though a bit unusual to find in a residential application.

Erby got it. Don't recall ever seeing one outdoors though.

I had a friend years ago who dealt in used industrial power equipment. He had a need to test high amperage devices and was short on funds so I picked out an industrial voltage transformer from his stock, altered the turns ratio, added a small 120 volt variable transformer to the primary and made him a current source that could deliver several hundred amps. It could smoke a 2/0 in seconds.

Marc