Possible freon leak

Neal Lewis

I think the old refrigerants used an injected dye so leaks could be identified, and that dye color is usually an iridescent green. Freon is colorless, or so I've been told.

You might be seeing some residue from a dye injection.

I'd bet a tooth it isn't flux.

I think the old refrigerants used an injected dye so leaks could be identified, and that dye color is usually an iridescent green. Freon is colorless, or so I've been told.

You might be seeing some residue from a dye injection.

I'd bet a tooth it isn't flux.

I wish I knew what it is. I sure would like to have a tooth as a trophy.

I'd bet it was condensation taking some of the copper minerals with it when it dripped off the uninsulated refrigerant line. I've seen some around here where the refrigerant line doesn't fully cover the line (a 5 or six inch gap) feet away from the unit or any need for soldering. Just a solid line in that area, but the green stuff is still there on the insulation with no sign of a refrigerant leak. I've also seen the same green under copper water lines with no solder anywhere in sight.

So tell us Marc, refrigerant line missing 6" to a foot of insulation in a straight run across the attic, no soldering anywhere near it. The same green stains on the wet fiberglass insulation under it, water dripping off the refrigerant line from condensation.

Where DOES the stain come from?

Don't leave Kurt's tooth hanging in the balance!

So tell us Marc, refrigerant line missing 6" to a foot of insulation in a straight run across the attic, no soldering anywhere near it. The same green stains on the wet fiberglass insulation under it, water dripping off the refrigerant line from condensation.

Where DOES the stain come from?

Don't leave Kurt's tooth hanging in the balance!

Are you sure the liquid and vapor lines are not soldered just outside that unit?

Also, dye is inserted at the schrader ports on the outdoor section. That's usually the only place where ports are installed.

The stains could be the colored soap that techs use sometimes to check for leaks. It bubbles up at leaks. It would drip that way if sprayed at those solder joints. The brand I use now is approximately that color. I mean, how else is Kurt gonna keep that tooth? And who's got the gumption to go over there and knock it out?

Marc