Shower valve issue.

Robert Jones

Plumbing guru's a question. The handheld shower on the right, began making a God awful "screaming" noise last night and eventually, the water just shut's off. A little bit of vibration right before the water shut's off. Copper plumbing. Is it an issue with the valve? The valve on the left, for the rain head, work's normal.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016221122850_shower%20valve%20(Medium).jpg

32.07 KB

Perhaps it's a problem with the pressure-balancing feature of the valve. The valve equalizes the pressure between the hot and cold inlets. If you loose pressure on one side of the inlet, you lose it on both sides of the outlet. You might have an obstruction on the hot or cold inlet.

Or it could be too many apostrophes.

Is that like too much cowbell?;) Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps it's a problem with the pressure-balancing feature of the valve. The valve equalizes the pressure between the hot and cold inlets. If you loose pressure on one side of the inlet, you lose it on both sides of the outlet. You might have an obstruction on the hot or cold inlet.

Or it could be too many apostrophes.

Quite often I find the single-control valves in vacant homes will not let hot water flow. Of course depends on many things: brand of valve (some not as good as others) and how long has the S/C valve not been used.

Plumbers I've talked to about this say the cartridge needs to be replaced. As noted, some brands seem to be more at risk than others, but I've never put down the names for my files.

I found two last week and they were in occupied homes, but in a bathroom that was seldom ever used.

Plumbing guru's a question. The handheld shower on the right, began making a God awful "screaming" noise last night and eventually, the water just shut's off. A little bit of vibration right before the water shut's off. Copper plumbing. Is it an issue with the valve? The valve on the left, for the rain head, work's normal.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016221122850_shower%20valve%20(Medium).jpg

32.07 KB

Would you like this issue fixed in 30 seconds? Then write a check to a plumber. Sorry dude, get it fixed.