Old hot water tank????

Inspector1

I have a ton of power running through my house.  Enough 220 to power 15 base board heaters, WH and electric oven.  I have been told by an electrician and a HI that I have a lot of power running to my panel.  Is that what you are getting at?

Edited by Mycakers
Base board heaters, not Floor board.

Ok.  A typical residential service is 200 amps at 240 volts. That comes out to 48,000 watts or 164,000 btu/hr.

Most of the gas-fueled tankless water heaters I see are 199,000 btu/hr.

A common heating element on a storage type electric water heater is 3,500 watts which comes out to 12,000 btu/hr.  Good enough for a small stream at a lavatory faucet but that's about all.  Certainly not enough for a shower or washing machine, much less all at one time.

What's the size of the main breaker on your circuit breaker panel?

Edited by Marc
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Marc said:

Ok.  A typical residential service is 200 amps at 240 volts. That comes out to 48,000 watts or 164,000 btu/hr.

Most of the gas-fueled tankless water heaters I see are 199,000 btu/hr.

A common heating element on an electric water heater is 3,500 watts which comes out to 12,000 btu/hr.  Good enough for a small stream at a lavatory faucet but that's about all.  Certainly not enough for a shower or washing machine, much less all at one time.

I have two main breakers, both marked with 100 amps on each side of the switch.  Does that mean 200 or 400?  I haven't started the electrical section of my training yet, and I have not done a lot of research on my panel.

53 minutes ago, Mycakers said:

I have two main breakers, both marked with 100 amps on each side of the switch.  Does that mean 200 or 400?  I haven't started the electrical section of my training yet, and I have not done a lot of research on my panel.

Too small.  An electric on-demand water heater cannot meet your hot water needs.

• Thanks 1

In my old house I had a gas tankless water heater "Takagi brand". The first one lasted about 15 years then I replaced it with a similar model with slightly less BTU.  With a wife and 6 kids at home my gas bill during summer was around $12 -$15 for the tankless. I would never think of going with a tankless electric unit.  If electric is your only option I would go with a heat pump water heater.