Is this correctly installed?

Tspivey0534

I inspected a house today that has a Luxaire gas furnace- the filter is located on the top- I think we are missing the plenum box that connects the lower furnace cabinet to the upper ceiling opening- I spoke to the contractor who installed the unit- he said that you don't have to have the upper box- it allows for better air flow- the closet door is vented appropriately- Wondering if this was correctly installed

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_3254.JPG

77.53 KB

Too little info given. I'll assume the duct above is the return air duct since you said the filter was on top.

It's obviously not a direct vent furnace. Even with a louvered door, combustion byproducts can be pulled out of the system and into the return air opening of the furnace. Also, the louvered door was intended for replacement air for combustion - it's not a large return vent.

I'd guess the lazy-ass contractor replaced a furnace without bothering to connect it to the existing return duct system.

• 3 weeks later...