Sewer connection questions

John Kogel

I am doing my rough plumbing for an addition to my bungalow. The new pipe from the suite, Kitchen and bathroom with a tub, is a 4" PVC pipe.

I located the main pipe from my 1983 house today and was a bit surprised to see a 3" black pipe.

It looks like PVC and is thin like PVC, but I will know for sure when I cut it.

So to connect to the 3" pipe, what fittings are best?

Choice #1 Reduce the 4" PVC to 3" ABS, with a 3" 45 degree facing down, short stub to street elbow into a 3" Wye.

#2 From the 45 facing down, a short stub into a 45 and a sanitary Tee.

#3 Stay with 4" PVC past the first 45, then reduce going into the 3" pipe.

I'll use a Fernco connector to put the new fitting into the old pipe.

Which way is bettter?

#4 I know the best choice would be dig out the 3" and go 4" to the main sewer line. But I hope to avoid that digging and landscaping.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201688213350_Pipes1.jpg

96.68 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201688213412_Pipes2.jpg

92.2 KB

Fernco with the stainless sleeve is fine for joining the pipe; the steel sleeve keeps everything aligned. I'd not like reducing it, but I'd dislike digging up the entire yard even more.

Whatever you do, put a cleanout that stubs above grade upstream of the reduction.

If it were me I would see if 3" ABS/PVC will fit through the 4" PVC. If it does, I would sleeve it and replace all the 4" with 3" and eliminate the need to reduce drain size.

Thanks but I won't do that, as I have brought the pipe around from the back of the house already, 70 feet of 4" already laid. Is Broughten a word?

Why, well there was this giant tomato plant that had to be given a home right over my pipeline. [:P]

The town info says I've got a 4" hookup, so I made an ass-umption.

It will be a cleanout with the reducer below that. That way the 4" pipe will fire the stools down into the 3" bottleneck. Brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Fernco with the stainless sleeve is fine for joining the pipe; the steel sleeve keeps everything aligned. I'd not like reducing it, but I'd dislike digging up the entire yard even more.

Whatever you do, put a cleanout that stubs above grade upstream of the reduction.

Jim Lutrall....inspector57 Posted - 08/08/2016 : 8:18:00 PM

If you reduce it, be sure to leave it open since that is where it will clog.

Thanks to y'all, I went ahead and reduced the pipe size, but included a cleanout.

My buddy the muni inspector says, "good, you can fill it all back in. It was good that you put in that cleanout."

The black pipe turns out to be a kind of flexible poly, like black poly water pipe, not brittle like PVC. I used the PVC primer and glue on it, and it is water tight.

Anyway, I am firing guns in the air in unbridled celebration. Thanks agin. [:-party]

Click to Enlarge
tn_201681903139_DSCN4549.jpg

98.87 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20168190325_pipes3.jpg

114.41 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201681903247_pipes4.jpg

133.5 KB

Around here thats considered "funneling",A big no go.

Anyway I would have installed the cleanout in the 4" instead of the wye.

Thanks. I am prepared to dig up the 3" lower section and replace it if it comes to that, but got the green light for now, which means I can move forward. Got the roof to put on and siding to paint before October.

I have a cleanout where the main pipe comes out from under the slab of the new addition, and two cleanouts on 2" drain lines inside.

Compared to some of the septic systems I have lived with, this connection to city sewer turns out to be pretty simple.