Which is better HIP Pro or Palm Tech

I am just getting started in the business and have narrowed my choices on reporting software down to HIP Pro and Palm Tech. I have done a free demo on both and I really like Palm Tech but can't decide if it is worth the extra money. I know i don't want to produce a "cheap" report but $900 compared to $500 is a big difference, is there something I am missing in the demos that justifies the price difference. I don't mind spending the money but I don't want to "throw it away" for a product that simply overpriced.

The support for HI Pro is superior to any others, IMO.

I bought the basic software on sale 10 years ago and have not had to shell out a dime since. That program produces the PDF right on my laptop, no logging in to a cloud or whatever. The new versions have cloud and all the new bells and whistles for tablets and such.

I had to use Palm-Tech when I contracted some work from another outfit. Support was terrible, some dingbat would answer the phone but there was never a problem at their end, always my fault their mandatory upgrades would crash my laptop.

The only time I had a problem with Vista was when they introduced their new version and my PC locked up. Had to borrow another laptop, then restart Windows by going back to an earler date, pre PalmTech. Great way to spend a few hours.

After that, every time they upgraded or whatever it was, I would lose half a day's work. You are safe if you do a fresh log in on the day they make changes, but there is never a warning. Then when the crash occurs, which is when you go to produce the finished report, you are not able to log in normally.

You have to do a fresh log in, but your work is not saved. Rework the whole deal, drag and drop the pictures, pretty fast, takes about an hour. This happened 3 times to me and multiples goofups to the other guys and then we thankfully went elsewhere. End of rant. [:)]

I've no experience with either though I suspect the difference between the two is salesmanship. One asks for more money because they think you will pay it. That mentality can be applied to a lot of what goes on in this business.

If you want to know what a good report looks like, first skim through a half dozen sample reports from anywhere on the web, then read this one:

Tampa

Notice how simple, precise, succinct it is and how easy to read. Sounds like a piece of cake to write but it isn't. I'm still trying after 14 years. When you can write like that, you've arrived and it's got nothing to do with choice if HI report writing app.

Marc

HIP Pro works OK, like they say. Palm Tech just plain sucks...lousy interface, lousy format, lousy output. There, I said it.

If the choice is between the two, HIP Pro.

After that, all the software reporting systems are tired out, including Cramer's, and Cramer's is about as good as it gets. They were all valid and interesting 30 years ago, but they're all predicated on outdated concepts about report writing, which isn't surprising, because all the guys in this biz are creaky old farts that stopped thinking about different, new, or current ways to do things. Everyone takes the same tired out concept from the vendor of the month, tweaks it to their liking, and then stops thinking.

It's a wasteland out there.

I have been using Home Gauge for the last 8 years. In my opinion it's the best HI software out there. Like any software you will find things you don't like about it.

Also be aware that not matter what program you buy, nothing is ready to use right out of the box. The templates are a starting point to build off, always try to use your own wording and make the report your own.

• 2 months later...

HIP Pro works OK, like they say. Palm Tech just plain sucks...lousy interface, lousy format, lousy output. There, I said it.

If the choice is between the two, HIP Pro.

After that, all the software reporting systems are tired out, including Cramer's, and Cramer's is about as good as it gets. They were all valid and interesting 30 years ago, but they're all predicated on outdated concepts about report writing, which isn't surprising, because all the guys in this biz are creaky old farts that stopped thinking about different, new, or current ways to do things. Everyone takes the same tired out concept from the vendor of the month, tweaks it to their liking, and then stops thinking.

It's a wasteland out there.

This made me chuckle, but I can appreciate the honesty! Definitely creates a challenge for modern software providers. Maybe you can teach some old dogs new tricks? [:-monkeyd

No, you can't teach old HI's new tricks. It's pretty much impossible to convince them there are tricks, let alone new tricks. If one or two allow as to how there might be a trick, they've already determined that what they're doing has served them well so far and there's no need to think. Thinking is unnatural for most HI's.

Toured your software site. Nothing new. Lots that's old. Kinda generic, which might actually be a major selling point to new HI wannabe's.

No, you can't teach old HI's new tricks. It's pretty much impossible to convince them there are tricks, let alone new tricks. If one or two allow as to how there might be a trick, they've already determined that what they're doing has served them well so far and there's no need to think.

I ain't one of em'.

Thinking is unnatural for most HI's.

I'm still thinking. I'm thinking it's time for dinner.

Toured your software site. Nothing new. Lots that's old. Kinda generic, which might actually be a major selling point to new HI wannabe's.

Unfortunately, yes.

Marc

No, you can't teach old HI's new tricks. It's pretty much impossible to convince them there are tricks, let alone new tricks. If one or two allow as to how there might be a trick, they've already determined that what they're doing has served them well so far and there's no need to think.

I ain't one of em'.

Thinking is unnatural for most HI's.

I'm still thinking. I'm thinking it's time for dinner.

Unfortunately, yes.

Marc

Marc - You are one of the rare exceptions ...

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the input, just thought I'd update everyone. I ended up not getting either one, I found a better option in Spectacular, it is really user friendly, customer support is over the top, and it is very reasonably priced. Don't know if anyone has heard of them but they are worth a look. www.spectacularhis.com, InterNACHI members get a discount on the price also.

Happy inspecting and thanks again for the input.