50.02 KB

Truss ends rotten, bracketing to wall

Click to Enlarge
tn_20161221232633_Truss%20Brackets.jpg

45.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20161221232646_Plywood%20Gussets.jpg

51.81 KB

Some were so bad, we gusseted it back with plywood.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2016122123271_Vent%20Panel.jpg

42.21 KB

Vented coping close up.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20161221232715_Vented%20Coping.jpg

48.31 KB

Can't hardly tell it's there. Full perimeter ventilation, works like a charm.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20161221232727_PC210001.jpg

56.86 KB

Thanx. You're welcome to check out a job. We think the neighbor a couple doors down is going to go for it. If you want to see it, let me know.

Kelly designed everything. When our engineer looked it over, he determined we'd over built by several gauges on the sheet metal. The huge majority of architects and engineers all insisted we had to replace the truss. God Bless the engineers, but I wonder what part of their education extracted all creative problem solving ability. We have to restrain ourselves from reminding them they're the folks that designed this stuff in the first place.

The vent stuff is 100% Kelly.

Kelly designed it and "engineered" it. It's something we'd been talking about for years...sheet metal brackets and plywood instead of gutting the house. The engineer just ran the numbers through his license so we had something to stand on.

You know I was just ****ing with you about the visions, don'tcha? It was an honest question. This is, after all, Chicago, where anything can happen and it does.

Kelly designed it and "engineered" it. It's something we'd been talking about for years...sheet metal brackets and plywood instead of gutting the house. The engineer just ran the numbers through his license so we had something to stand on.

You know I was just ****ing with you about the visions, don'tcha? It was an honest question. This is, after all, Chicago, where anything can happen and it does.

Yeah, sure. I read your meaning just fine.

That engineer must have great esteem for Kelly to do that for him.

Marc

Kurt,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the project. That tent enabled us to hunker down even in the worst weather and keep working; or at least leave the entire roof exposed at the end of the day without worry. So now, we have the whole system, not part, designed out: Masonry and roof venting, tent- allows unto take a look at the entire roof without the pressure of closing every night- (boat shrink wrap ROCKS!) Reinforcing the structure; adjust the insulation and mechanicals as needed. As always, I appreciate your invaluable advice and involvement on these projects.

Marc, the gussets and brackets were engineered. The engineer checked the math on my design and fastener selection

Btw, engineers are well meaning: its too bad you can't jamb 25 yrs of experience (i.e. dirt, grit, cut hands, hot sun, cold weather, heavy lifting, etc, etc ) into a 2 year course.... -Kelly

Kurt,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the project. That tent enabled us to hunker down even in the worst weather and keep working; or at least leave the entire roof exposed at the end of the day without worry. So now, we have the whole system, not part, designed out: Masonry and roof venting, tent- allows unto take a look at the entire roof without the pressure of closing every night- (boat shrink wrap ROCKS!) Reinforcing the structure; adjust the insulation and mechanicals as needed. As always, I appreciate your invaluable advice and involvement on these projects.

Marc, the gussets and brackets were engineered. The engineer checked the math on my design and fastener selection

Btw, engineers are well meaning: its too bad you can't jamb 25 yrs of experience (i.e. dirt, grit, cut hands, hot sun, cold weather, heavy lifting, etc, etc ) into a 2 year course.... -Kelly

A two-year course? It takes eight years' minimum to become a PE. A four-year engineering degree from an accredited university, think big bucks, and four years of experience under the direct supervision of a PE. You also need references from three other PE's as well as a reference from your managing PE. You are then qualified to undertake 16 hours of examination.

I respect what you do and I always consider the challenges that a tradesman encounters everyday. I seek the tradesman's advice when possible before issuing letters or designs.

Professional Engineers are bound by law "to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public".

If contractors would take the time to ask questions about the engineer's recommendations you would be surprised how willing most engineers are to address the contractor's concerns and make changes.

Tip to tradesmen: Always read the notes on the sketch!!