Is relining needed?

I received a report with photos from my niece who lives in MI. The report indicates that there has been a chimney fire. My niece bought the house recently, so I have not history. This is a fireplace flue. No wood stove presently installed. The fireplace does have glass doors. Soot staining on the brick above the firebox says to me that someone might have been using the fireplace with the doors closed. any thoughts on whether a liner is needed? The contractor is proposing installing a cast ceramic (Fireguard) liner for about $1400. 

Fireplace surround has smoke stains, likely resulting from cement blockage at intersection to flue liner. This cement can be removed with flue servicability redress (1024x768).jpg

Flue liner no longer has ability to contain products of combustion. Flue should be relined with listed liner, or repaired with approved material (1) (1024x768).jpg

Flue liner no longer has ability to contain products of combustion. Flue should be relined with listed liner, or repaired with approved material (2) (1024x768).jpg

Flue liner top down view. Notice cement blockage at bottom. This should be removed to stop smoke from issuing out of fireplace (1024x768).jpg

I agree with both of you. Getting an unbiased opinion may be hard. It seems like chimney sweeps/contractors want to line every flue. Most home inspectors probably won't want to give an opinion. 

I have not has time to look into this. I don't know what info is available regarding mortar joints and fires. The photos are not great quality either. 

I agree that the soot could be from any number of things. But, I do tend to see soot stains above glass doors when it has been apparent that they burn fires with the doors closed. That is also when I tend to see creosote in the flue. 

Maybe minor fires in flue cause the conditions they say are present, but I am only familiar with major damage from chimney fires.