Did I go too far?

We had a severe flood in '13 here in Calgary. Yesterday I had an inspection right on the rivers edge. It had a partially below grade garage with a concrete and wood deck above it, flat roof with what seemed like a swimming pool membrane below the wood area to seal the roof. By the water line still on the house, the garage had been submerged. Some of the drywall had fallen off, and I could see mould in the walls and wood I-joists and sheathing of the roof. Also deflection of the joists. I called for the deck and ceiling structure to be removed, and to have tested by a remediation company to see if the mould was bad enough that it would have to be removed professionally. Here are pictures showing deflection and some of the moisture damage. I've never called for that much removal before, but from a safety standpoint I thought it was valid.

IMG_0547.PNG

IMG_0548.PNG

Edited by Leighton Jantz

Sounds like you were a bit conservative judging by the photos (of course you were there.)

I would not be surprised to see much more hidden damage. 

I would advise my clients to run and not look back unless they loved the property so much that they would want (and could afford) to tear it down and rebuild from the ground up. Mold would not be my primary concern but rather the structural integrity, although certainly mold would have to be dealt with. I would also imagine rebuilding in a flood zone would also have it's own issues.

Moisture in the OSB of the I-beams can lead to the spread of wood-destroying fungi, the worst of those being Poria and its cousins. I don't know if you have that as bad out on the prairie, but it is a very real threat here anytime OSB has been allowed to get wet. The fungus is dormant in the wood chips, probably.

So yes, air quality from mold is a concern, but fungus will destroy the structure..

19 hours ago, inspector57 said:

Sounds like you were a bit conservative judging by the photos (of course you were there.)

I would not be surprised to see much more hidden damage. 

I would advise my clients to run and not look back unless they loved the property so much that they would want (and could afford) to tear it down and rebuild from the ground up. Mold would not be my primary concern but rather the structural integrity, although certainly mold would have to be dealt with. I would also imagine rebuilding in a flood zone would also have it's own issues.

Part of the reason they are not running is, according to client and his realtor, this property has been on the market for years they've known about the damage, and price has recently been dropped $700,000 below market value in the area.

Edited by Leighton Jantz

• 1 month later...