HUD home special

Yet another topic where, despite my 20+ yrs experience, I find myself a beginner.

We don't get many HUD FHA foreclosures around here.  The subject property was the only one listed for my county.  I took the bait as it is in my town of current (30 yrs) residence.  

Subject property was foreclosed under FHA rules, bank completely off the hook.  No utilities allowed to be connected.  Property offered "as is".  Buyer big time beware. HUD sends a crew from two states away to "inspect", although they will not activate any utilities.  The crew energized the electric system with a generator, and said they operated two HVAC systems and found them operational.

I, working for a buyer not yet under contract, found this at disconnect of a condenser.  I have never seen a disconnect jerried to not switch off.  Maybe it kept tripping and they stuck this screw in there to keep it on.

Owners who walked from the house took the water heater with them, but left behind a fairly late model car with good tires with a license plate expired in Oct '17.

Do the brethren here do many of these half vast inspects?

Edited by Jim Baird

we have done thousands and thousands.  Seriously during one 45day period we only did re-pos and not one single occupied "normal" house.  no advice.  abt 60% were semi-trashed and very difficult to inspect for a variety of reasons;  no utilities, damage, trash etc.  now we only do one or two a week. 

Looking back, I think the one thing I did wrong was try to inspect them as "typical".  they are not typical.  While many may be close to typical very few are.  Little things like no shower head, disposer gone, copper removed, crud poured down drain lines, trash and left over food, etc.