Mold in texas!

Hi,

I didn't see any indication in that post that the person had ever gotten a home inspection. In fact, someone asked that question in that thread. So why the comment about inspecting to minimums?

What makes you think that a good home inspection wouldn't have uncovered those things? I haven't inspected a home to minimum requirements of any SOP for years and make a point of always trying to exceed them, but, you know what, that house sounds bad enough that I think any ol' buckhethead just inspecting to the minimum standard might have found some of that stuff.

Don't know for certain, it just sounds like that might be the case.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I Agree,

The standards are there and most muni guys are allegedly 'certified' to whatever standard the city they work for demands, but they just don't enforce the codes for whatever reason. Some because they're incompetent, some because the guys whose work they'll have to criticize and put a halt to are their drinking buddies, some because they're crooked and paid to look the other way, many because they're overwhelmed with too much work and their municipality won't spring for overtime and/or more inspectors. I think one could find a whole litany of additional reasons.

I think it should be mandatory for every building contractor to have to complete a code certification course before obtaining his/her license, because sometimes it looks like most of the boners they make are caused by simple ignorance of the rules. The codes are a basic road map to how something should be built, wired and plumbed.

If builders had to learn those codes in an official setting before they were allowed to build, instead of soaking them up as they go along and learning new ones by having their mistakes caught, I think we'd see an improvement in housing stock.

Just my opinion, however naive.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi,

Well, that has to start with your state's lawmakers. They've got to make it a crime to perform negligent inspections or to hire under qualified so-called inspectors and then they have to put in place strict rules and punishments for malfeasance. They won't do it until enough consumers begin squawking louder then the building industry lobbyists who right now wish that inspectors needed to use white canes to get around.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Sure,

The Building Industry Association of Washington (BIAW) here in my state is the most powerful lobby in Olympia and contributes more money than any other faction to the coffers of politicians they like and will spend more than any others to fight legislation that they don't. We (home inspectors) are pretty darned insignificant to legislators with our paltry numbers and lack of capital to get their attention. About the only time a politician gives a hoot about poor construction or home inspections is when one of his friends or relatives is affected by a lousily built home or gets a lousy home inspection. Then they start baying like a pack of blueticks.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally posted by merylmusgrave

How does one, who is not in the business, go about finding a home inspector who inspects beyond minimum requirements and has completed code certifications? Asking gets some very odd responses.

That's almost an oxymoron. Code is the minimal requirement.

If I needed an inspector I would pick one based on the following:

1. How long has the person been in business. Over 3 years is a good sign.

2. Can the person talk and form a good sentence that I can understand. If they can't do this chances are they can't write a report that you can understand either.

3. Is the inspector friendly and polite on the phone.

You would be surprised how many inspector folk can't pass #2 and #3.

As with everything you will find exceptions.

Originally posted by merylmusgrave

How does one, who is not in the business, go about finding a home inspector who inspects beyond minimum requirements and has completed code certifications? Asking gets some very odd responses.

Most qualified home inspectors I know who have good qualifications list their qualifications on their web site. They use it as a marketing tool. It's a lot easier to refer someone to one's web page than to try to list them all verbally.