Foundation cracking

Frank Turak

Here are some pictures of a foundation in a waterfront home. I of course called for a structural engineer due to the conditions observed. This defect started in the garage about 20' away and continued through the foundation wall and footing.

I also posted the comment made by the real estate agent sent via email to my client.

"HI WALTER....

I'LL BE SENDING YOU YOUR CHECK AND THE EXTRA $100 BY CHECK TODAY. THE xxxxx ARE OF COURSE FIXING THE PROBLEM WHICH IS NOT A STRUCTURAL DEFECT AND DOES NOT SUPPORT ANY OF THE WEIGHT OF THE HOME AND IS VERY SIMPLE TO FIX....

NEW WATERFRONT HOMES WITH CRAWL SPACES IN THE AREA ARE BUILT THE SAME WAY....

THE OWNERS ARE HAVING A STATE CERTIFIED HOME INSPECTOR FAMILIAR WITH WATERFRONT HOMES DO A STRUCTURAL INSPECTION BEFORE AND AFTER THE WORK IS DONE"

I of course stated in my report that this is a structural issue requiring further evaluation by a structural engineer familiar with this type of construction.

I'm interested in any comments by any inspector who does waterfront properties regarding this type of defect. This home is build on pilings sunk into the ground with the footing and foundation built on top.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif BlockFoundationCracks.jpg

33.53 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif BlockFoundationCracks1.jpg

46.33 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif FoundationCrack.jpg

63.38 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif SettledPier.jpg

39.01 KB

Thanks all!

Frank

Originally posted by Frank Turak

This home is build on pilings sunk into the ground with the footing and foundation built on top.

This type of foundation is common in my area. I sincerely doubt there are pilings under this foundation. If there were, it wouldn't be sinking into the ground. Pilings are driven under the supervision of an engineer to a designed bearing capacity, which is determined based on soil borings performed prior to the design work. They don't fail like this. It just doesn't happen, unless someone has royally screwed up. If your client buys this house, they will be royally screwed.

Hi,

Is it possible it's pole building construction with a concrete stem wall placed around the perimeter under the main floor to enclose it and keep out critters? If so, it would make sense that there really wasn't any load on the foundation because with those everything bears on the poles and on the beams bolted to those.

It's a pretty popular method for seaside site because you aren't relying on the stem walls for support.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The block pier has settled about 3" The shim in the picture is the original shim placed under the beam at the time of construction.

The piers? used as the footing for the concrete footing and foundation is below grade and not visible. There are no exposed pilings attached to the house anywhere. This foundation runs under the entire house. This crawl is about 2' below grade. This house is 20 years old and build on fill

Darren

I'll send you a picture of the entire house via email. Don't know how to post a picture to this reply without starting another post

Frank

Originally posted by Frank Turak

I'll send you a picture of the entire house via email. Don't know how to post a picture to this reply without starting another post

Frank

To edit your post, just use the 'edit' icon in the top of the post that you want to change or add photos to.

When the work box comes up, click on the paper clip icon below the work box next to the words 'upload a linked file' and follow the instructions from there.

Make sure that the pictures that you want to post are less than 100KB. If not, resize them first.

If you don't have a resizing tool, go to the windows powertoys site and download the resizing tool (it's free).

When you upload pictures make sure that there are no symbols or gaps in the file name. For instance the file name "Bad Foundation (Brown House)" won't work. You need to have something like BadFoundationBrownHouse or Bad_Foundation_Brown_House without the parenthesis.

Also make sure that the photo is in one of the approved formats for file uploads .jpg, .gif, .bmp.

That's it. If I can do it, anyone can 'cuz I'm the supreme ultimate computer moron.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'll go with Mark's opinion. I've seen those sinking foundation , in my side of town ,so many times.Pilings under foundation walls are the common solution. Those verifications are always done by engeneer. It is correct to make it a structural issu and to have it evaluated by a certified structural engineer. I can also see some high humidity problem inside the crawling space ! Looks like the joist in this picture is showing moisture and molds.

Mark. My client did not buy the house. The deal died when I did the garage during the early part of the inspection. They were concerned about the garage floor. It settled about 4" from the center support to the foundation. That's what that crack in the foundation wall is. It gets worse from there.

By the time I went into the crawl he walked down the street and put in an offer on another home. Did not use this agent. This house is listed at 7K. Sure would like to know what inspector is going to certify the work to this foundation.

Frank