QO panel

Rayne

Square D QO main panel, my question is the only double pole breaker is 30 amp and so where is the main disconnect, and whats the amp rating on the panel. I see at the top of the panel it says the panel is rated for 100 amps so why would there not be a 100 amp disconnect? The only 240v circuit in the home is to the dryer everything else is gas. Is it possible they didn't install a main service disconnect because you could shut every circuit off with with 6 throws, which technically you couldn't because two of those are tandem breakers and I would think a tandem breaker would be two throws, any help would be much appreicated, thanks!

IMG_1698.jpg

7 hours ago, Rayne said:

Square D QO main panel, my question is the only double pole breaker is 30 amp and so where is the main disconnect, and whats the amp rating on the panel. I see at the top of the panel it says the panel is rated for 100 amps so why would there not be a 100 amp disconnect? The only 240v circuit in the home is to the dryer everything else is gas. Is it possible they didn't install a main service disconnect because you could shut every circuit off with with 6 throws, which technically you couldn't because two of those are tandem breakers and I would think a tandem breaker would be two throws, any help would be much appreicated, thanks!

That's a main-lug panel. In the trade it would be called an MLO (main lug only) panel. If you were to open it up and look inside, you'd probably see a schematic that said something like "listed for use as service equipment when using not more than 6 main breakers." *If* it's the service panel for a building and *if* it had 6 or fewer breakers, then it wouldn't need a main breaker. The tandems count as two breakers unless they have a handle-tie installed. My guess is that the panel was originally installed with 6 breakers and someone installed the tandems later - they don't match anyway. 

The upside down breakers (the ones that are "off" in the "up" position, mean that the panel must predate 1984. 

The fact that the breakers are oddly arranged and that there's a strange outline of a cutout to the left of the upper breaker makes me wonder if this cover actually goes with the panel behind it. 

We could tell a lot more if you had a picture of the panel with its cover removed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

That's a main-lug panel. In the trade it would be called an MLO (main lug only) panel. If you were to open it up and look inside, you'd probably see a schematic that said something like "listed for use as service equipment when using not more than 6 main breakers." *If* it's the service panel for a building and *if* it had 6 or fewer breakers, then it wouldn't need a main breaker. The tandems count as two breakers unless they have a handle-tie installed. My guess is that the panel was originally installed with 6 breakers and someone installed the tandems later - they don't match anyway. 

The upside down breakers (the ones that are "off" in the "up" position, mean that the panel must predate 1984. 

The fact that the breakers are oddly arranged and that there's a strange outline of a cutout to the left of the upper breaker makes me wonder if this cover actually goes with the panel behind it. 

We could tell a lot more if you had a picture of the panel with its cover removed. 

Yeah your exactly right I googled main lug only panel and see what your talking about now, Will get some inside pics soon and post them, thank you