It just exploded!

homnspector

Dusted off my 3 light tester yesterday because I had a bunch of exterior receptacles to test on a farm and figured it would be faster. Second test, I pushed the button and sparks flew. It tripped the breaker but not the GFCI (good shock protection). Tested again with the suretest and it was wired correctly. Yes, these things do blow up.

Be careful out there!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG4670.JPG

35.98 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG4671.JPG

41.57 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG4679.JPG

47.38 KB

Originally posted by homnspector

Dusted off my 3 light tester yesterday because I had a bunch of exterior receptacles to test on a farm and figured it would be faster. Second test, I pushed the button and sparks flew. It tripped the breaker but not the GFCI (good shock protection). Tested again with the suretest and it was wired correctly. Yes, these things do blow up.

Be careful out there!

Apparently it affected the auto focus feature of your camera as well.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The good news...

At least you had the foresight to get a great manicure before it all occurred, Fritz! [:-slaphap

About five years ago I had the misfortune of backing out a panel cover screw whose threads cut into the cover of one of the main entry lines. Needless to say it was like the 4th of July. The screw was trashed and the panel cover looked like someone had been arc-welding on it and in fact they had! The home seller was present and had a cow as if it was something I had done. It was the proper type of panel cover screw. The electrician had merely been careless during his installation.

Truer words have never been said. "Be careful out there." You never know what's about to happen.

Originally posted by homnspector

If anyone is interrested, I think this is how these things are wired. There are a few other resistors I couldn't figure out.

I'll bet that a resistor crapped out and when you pushed the button you sent line voltage to ground.

- Jim Katen, Oregon