Free Annual Boiler Tuneup Checklist

hausdok

In Norm Becker's Homeowner's Clinic in the February 2006 issue of Popular Mechanics Magazine a reader complained that he hadn't received what he believed to be a complete and thorough annual tuneup on his boiler and asked Becker what constituted a proper annual tuneup.

Becker's answer will be very informative for homeowners who have boilers. Even more useful from an inspector's standpoint is the free annual boiler tuneup checklist that accompies the article. It can be downloaded separately from the article and then printed out on heavy cardstock and given to clients to be hung next to the boiler as a handy reference guide and reminder for when to do boiler maintenance.

Download the article here and the annual boiler tuneup checklist here.

• 1 month later...

Haven't inspected all that many oil units, boiler or forced air. In fact I wonder if I've ever done one in an occupied house because almost every time the tank has been empty. That said in reading the checklist I saw it mention replace both the oil filter and the burner nozzle. I understand the oil filter but does the nozzle need to be replaced every year, or as needed? Also does this hold for both boilers and FA units?

Todd

Same burner for both forced air and boiler. Different nozzle patterns and gph's. Yep, the best thing is to change it every year. Nozzles actually wear out(orfice enlarges) and the sintered metal filter on them breaks down and cloggs. The secret of oil is volume,air and oil patterns and pressure. Screw one up and Boom! you are a crispy critter!

Cleaning up the mess Les eludes to used to be big business for me back in the Disastor Restoration days (probably 30% of my volume).

You must chemically clean, seal and paint all the walls and ceilings and pitch the furniture and furnishings. It's one heck of a soot nightmare.