Gas line in ash dump

peterk2

I inspected house a house a while back that had the fireplaces converted to natural gas. On one fireplace the supply line ( CSST ) was routed from the basement to the fireplace through the old ash dump. I didn't see anything wrong with this since the ash dump is basically a chase from the basement to the firebox. My client calls me to say that a plumber said it was not safe and he could fix it for $ 800.00. The client is not blaming me for anything, just wants some good advice. I think the plumber sees an $800 opportunity. Piping was properly installed in the firebox with a shut off, etc.

Peter K

Argyle Home Inspections

We have run across that several times. Here in Mid-Mich there are several jurisdictions that allow it and one that does not; That one requires iron pipe but you can use the chase.

I don't see anything particularily wrong with the idea as long as there is a shut off outside the firebox. Again, some gurus don't even require that.

$800 seems a little steep.

Originally posted by peterk2

. . . My client calls me to say that a plumber said it was not safe and he could fix it for $ 800.00. The client is not blaming me for anything, just wants some good advice. I think the plumber sees an $800 opportunity. Piping was properly installed in the firebox with a shut off, etc.

Peter K

Argyle Home Inspections

Tell the client to ask the plumber to cite a code or reference to back up his assertion that it isn't safe.

- Jim Katen, Oregon