Chipped Tiles Revisited

DonTx

Sometime back there was a discussion on tile roofs. (at least I believe it was on this forum)

Someone (Kurt, Mark or Chris I think) mentioned about the corners being chipped off and they gave a reason why this happens.

Can someone refresh my memory as to why this occurs?

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_2613.jpg

29.12 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif IMG_2614.jpg

32.73 KB

Originally posted by Donald Lawson

Sometime back there was a discussion on tile roofs. (at least I believe it was on this forum)

Someone (Kurt, Mark or Chris I think) mentioned about the corners being chipped off and they gave a reason why this happens.

Tile ants.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

29.12 KB

32.73 KB

That allows the tile to lay flat on the underlying tile. If that corner was there, the edge of the adjacent tile would be sitting on top of the underlying tile.

This is what I was referring to (from the Monier Tile Website):

How do tiles get broken?

Sometimes in shipment and delivery, pallets of tile may be mishandled or bumped. Most often the damage is slight and the tiles are still usable. Tiles with chipped or broken edges can usually be installed at hips, valleys, rakes or other places requiring cut tiles. These tiles should be identified and sorted during the loading process.

Originally posted by mcramer

29.12 KB

32.73 KB

That allows the tile to lay flat on the underlying tile. If that corner was there, the edge of the adjacent tile would be sitting on top of the underlying tile.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif tilecorner.jpg

17.53 KB