Siding Identification

wingfoot

Can anyone tell what type of siding this is from the stamp on the back? The house was built in 1988, so I am assuming the "88" is for the year manufactured. Sorry I didn't get a close up photo of the front, but I guess I am correct that it is one type of composition hardboard.

The stamp reads; "1 050 88 OSP C"

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Siding.jpg

182.58 KB

Originally posted by wingfoot

Can anyone tell what type of siding this is from the stamp on the back? The house was built in 1988, so I am assuming the "88" is for the year manufactured. Sorry I didn't get a close up photo of the front, but I guess I am correct that it is one type of composition hardboard.

The stamp reads; "1 050 88 OSP C"

I've been told that all of the Masonite siding products had a screen-like texture on the back side. If this stuff was screen-like on the back it might be Masonite. If it's smooth, it's probably another hardboard manufacturer.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Bill,

That web link you gave had the information I needed.

"Catawba Siding manufactured by Georgia-Pacific has a smooth back and may be identified by one or more manufacturing stamps or numeric codes like those illustrated below:

A numeric code that may contain the letters "GP"

or "USP" for example:

2 21: 38 257 89 GP 2 21:38 257 87 USP

13:25 365 96 GP 07:11 10 04 96"

It appears it is Catawba siding.

I usually don't go to this much trouble identifying what brand of siding it is but I had such a good look at the siding from behind I figured I would try and track it down.

BTW, this house had Polybutylene PB2110 as well but the current owners had the whole house re-piped with copper at no cost from the class action.

It seems anytime I inspect a house from the mid-80's to mid-90's around my area it usually has the double whammy, PB & or some type of composite hardboard.

As always thanks for the info.