Green colored DWV?

Chris Bernhardt

I inspected an older house that had a cast iron building drain that was fernco coupled to a green colored pipe which appeard to be the sewer. I could only see a couple of inches of the pipe so couldn't see any markings on it but the only green colored piping I'm aware of is for the municipal gas distribution systems.

Is there a green colored DWV material out there or do you think somebody used some spare gas pipe?

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

I inspected an older house that had a cast iron building drain that was fernco coupled to a green colored pipe which appeard to be the sewer. I could only see a couple of inches of the pipe so couldn't see any markings on it but the only green colored piping I'm aware of is for the municipal gas distribution systems.

Is there a green colored DWV material out there or do you think somebody used some spare gas pipe?

Chris, Oregon

Was it plastic? There's a green PVC sewer pipe that's commonly used out there.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Yes, it was plastic.

Green colored PVC? Is that new or has that been around for a while and why green? Does it have some advantage?

Chris, Oregon

I don't think it has any special properties, just green dye (or whatever colorant they use).

As far as I know, it's just a convenience. Kind of like PEX that's available in blue & red for hot & cold.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by Jim Katen

As far as I know, it's just a convenience. Kind of like PEX that's available in blue & red for hot & cold.

If they're gonna use color to suggest a pipes' use, shouldn't DWV be yellow and brown? [:-yuck][:-dev3]

Brian G.

Yes It's My Brain, Just Don't Ask Me to Explain It [:-dopey]

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I saw old posts and am looking for information.

I have a few pieces of 4" PVC SDR41 green pipe.

I would like to know if I can use sch 40 fittings. I will be using it for "no pressure" hydroponics gravity water delivery.

What cement to use for joining fittings to SDR41?

Thank you - waycoop1