Settlement Proposed in CSST Class Action Lawsuit

hausdok

According to a November 7th article in Nations Building News, the official online weekly newspaper of the NAHB (National Association of Home Builders), a settlement proposal has been made that is aimed at settling a class-action lawsuit involving corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST).

For more details about the lawsuit and the proposed settlement, click here.

I felt this may be of importance to all.

Plumbers install this in Texas.

http://www.pddocs.com/csst/faq.aspx

For those in doubt of a possibly existing problem:

http://www.selectinspect.com/pdf/FRISCO ... %20ban.pdf

The ban on the installation of CSST was lifted once the cause of problems were traced to improper, non-existent, or faulty ground-bond-lightning protection.

But that never made the news. Not meaty enough for the average consumer.

I just happen to live in the highest lightning Flash Density Zone (FDZ) where this took place.

Find Your Lightning Density Zone http://www.pddocs.com/csst/zonefinder.aspx

Here is my boilerplate for reports and a mailing I am considering any editorial advisements would be appreciated.

A gas piping system called Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing (CSST) is present in this home.

Please read the CSST Settlement http://www.pddocs.com/csst/faq.aspx as relevant and necessary for the completion of this portion of your report.

I advise further evaluation by a licensed electrician and the installation of any necessary safety enhancements regarding the proper grounding, bonding, and or lightning protection of this particular installation.

BADAIR

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes

Hi Barry,

That link above for those in doubt doesn't work and takes me to a "you do not have authorized address" page. Do you have a publicly viewable page for that link?

Question: Why would you use that comment? Don't you routinely confirm that the plumbing is bonded to the panel and that the system is properly grounded?

The only time that I would use a comment like that would be if there was no way I could confirm that the system was grounded, didn't find any bond to the gas line or both.

OT - OF!!!

M.

• 2 months later...

It appears there has been some relationship found: From the Dallas News: "The city [Frisco] began studying the issue last year after fire officials noted

that in at least six fires in the last two years the point of origin could

be linked to the flexible steel piping. In November, the manufacturers

temporarily agreed to stop selling the product in Frisco to give the city

time to study the issue.

"Fire Marshal Don Fernandez said the city determined that lightning

strikes on homes that had black steel piping did not cause fires. Gas

leaks did occur, as they had with the flexible tubing, he said."

And I think this is the same link that didn't work in the other message:

http://www.selectinspect.com/pdf/FRISCO ... %20ban.pdf

More on flexible gas lines. Below is from a mailing residents in Sun City, TX (Georgetown, TX) received recently. It appears they have eliminated the use of 'flex' from the supply hard pipe to the hard pipe coming out of the furnace manifold and through the furnace wall.

===================================

Gas Line Installations

at Sun City Texas

- per Jim Romine, Executive Director, SCT Community Association

In the past, flexible metal hoses were used in the installation of gas furnaces here at Sun City Texas. This is the hose that brings the gas into your furnace from the gas source inside your home. This installation met all applicable City building codes at the time.

According to Stan Johnson, President of Stan's Heating and Air, approximately two years ago, our City code changed and required that hard steel lines be used in the installation to replace these steel flexible lines.

This was changed due to the slight possibility that the flexible line could be penetrated due to years of vibration. Since the Code was changed, all homes in Sun City have been installed per the new code.

Some residents have expressed concern over the past use of the flexible metal lines and their existence in many homes in Sun City. Residents who are interested in having their lines replaced may call Stan's-Georgetown office at 869-6995. Stan's will be offering special rates this spring to switch the line for Sun City Residents.

Please keep in mind that this line will need to be replaced to meet the new code if you sell your home at a future date.

============================================