Slab Suction

swolsen

Actually, it may not be done 'well' in swolsen's photo, I think NM cable is a great strapping material. Its got metal for strength and the plastic jacket to keep it from damaging whatever its supporting.

What else should be used for PVC pipe? Plastic plumbers tape? I'd take romex any day. Although with the recent spike in copper, the price of copper cable has skyrocketed.

Hi Randy,

Actually there are hangers designed for PVC. One could also use the plastic or metal strapping to secure the PVC. You are correct; The use of NM cable was done poorly, and with time, may pull loose of the staples that were used to secure it.

This is something I would expect from a home owner, but a radon mitigation company?

Great photos, Scott.

I agree with Randy’s comments regarding the strength and durability of NMS cable. While the support system may not look pretty, if the fasteners are well-secured to the rafters and the supporting cable is installed so that its ends won’t separate from the fasteners, it will work. Supports should be installed every six feet or less. The horizontal portion of the PVC piping looks as if it’s sloped so that water draining from condensation, snowmelt, or rain won’t become trapped in the pipe or foul the fan and the fan appears to be mounted and secured in a manner that minimizes transfer of vibration to the structural framing of the building - so far, so good.

The words “Radon Mitigation Systemâ€

Hi Randy

What do they look like?

Several sites pop up on a Google search. Here are two;

http://www.plumbingstore.com/pipehangers.html

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-34 ... ngers.aspx

Is that "plastic" plumbers tape?

No; actually I never heard of plastic plumbers tape. Are you referring to Teflon tape? The stuff used on pipe threads?

I didn't think metal straps were allowed on plastic pipe (even though we see it all the time)

You may be correct on the metal straps. I was more concerned about the pipe being properly supported. [:-magnify

What do they look like?
Several sites pop up on a Google search. Here are two;
Got it. Thanks. Can't remember the last time I saw that stuff around here, even on the million dollar places. Its all metal straps here.
Is that "plastic" plumbers tape?
No; actually I never heard of plastic plumbers tape. Are you referring to Teflon tape? The stuff used on pipe threads?
No go back to that second website you posted. The plastic tape is shown twice. They call it 'plastic hanger straps', I believe.