Water testing of windows

hoytt

I am looking for a definative resource for water testing windows. I have the AAMA 502-02 spec and am more interested in the AAMA 501.2.3 spec with some actual info regarding what pressure should be applied and from what distance, etc.

I have the necessary spray rig already and want to be able to test to a specific standard. Most of the AAMA standards indicate that the test protocols are not for residential windows that open.

For those of you that are doing water testing or forensics, what standard are you using and can you post a copy of it or a link?

Thanks,

The times I have done water testing on windows, we used a shower head that was connected to a tri-pod device. We could hit second floor windows with no problem. We could measure the flow and pressure and even add in dye if we wanted special effects. I don't recall any published standards. We kept the pressure at 45psi and the flow I can't recall but I want to say it was around 3gpm.

I'll try to find our "standards" that we developed. They went to court three times and our clients won. Kind of hard to dispute a video of red water running down a white wall!

Larry,

How're you doing, you old dog. I haven't seen or heard of you since our old ASHI board of directors days. Looks like you've branched out. If you've bought the equipment for testing windows, I've gotta guess that there's a demand or else you're creating one. Either way, if it generates income or references that generate income, good for you. What's up with Greg M., Roger R., and the other bay area guys? I wish I had some information re: the AAMA spec. Finding authoratative protocols can be frustrating but necessary both for doing a good job and for hanging your hat on in your contract. Drop me a line at prospex@prospex.us and let me know how things are going.

Kevin O'Hornett

Golden, Colorado

Larry,

There's some information at: www.aamanet.org/upload/Industry%20Interface%202-06.pdf

Also, have you looked at:

AAMA 501.2-94 WATER TEST PROCEDURE "Field Check of Metal Storefronts, Curtainwalls, Windows, and Sloped Glazing Systems"?ASTM E783 - " Field measurement of leakage through installed exterior windows and doors"

ASTM ACTIVE STANDARD: E2268-04 Standard Test Method for Water Penetration of Exterior Windows, Skylights, and Doors by Rapid Pulsed Air Pressure Difference

Developed by Subcommittee: E06.51

See Related Work by this Subcommittee

Adoptions: ANSI Approved

Book of Standards Volume: 04.12

1. Scope

1.1 This test method covers the determination of the resistance of exterior windows, skylights, and doors to water penetration when water is applied to the outdoor face and exposed edges simultaneously with a rapid pulsed air pressure at the outdoor face higher than the pressure at the indoor face.

1.2 This test method is applicable to windows, skylights, or doors alone. Those interested in testing curtain walls to rapid pulsed air pressure differences should use AAMA 501.1-94.

1.3 This test method addresses water penetration through a manufactured assembly. Water that penetrates the assembly, but does not result in a failure as defined herein, may have adverse effects on the performance of contained materials such as sealants and insulating or laminated glass. This test method does not address these issues.

1.4 The proper use of this test method requires a knowledge of the principles of pressure measurement.

1.5 The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard. The inch-pound equivalents of SI units may be approximate.

1.6 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.

2. Referenced Documents

E631 Terminology of Building Constructions

AAMA 501.1-94 Standard Test Method for Exterior Windows, Curtain Walls and Doors for Water Penetration Using Dynamic Pressure

All of this may be preaching to the choir if you've already reviewed these materials.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

I already have all of AAMA's information. Their tests aren't really designed for opening casement or single/double hung windows in a residence. I was specifically looking for a spec that speaks to how to test opening windows in residences after installation to confirm (or at least test) the manner in which they were installed/flashed and provide a level of confidence in their watertight integrity.

Larry

www.hoyttinspect.com

Originally posted by housewhisperer

Larry,

There's some information at: www.aamanet.org/upload/Industry%20Interface%202-06.pdf

Michael:

How did you happen to post the Aquatech photos?

Also, what do you mean by "unclear about the concept, part XXICVI" ?

Were you aware that I had also worked on this very project, having been retained by the smaller building owner?

This was just too wierd to see your reply and realize that it was a project that I had worked on.

Let me know what you meant please.

Thank you,

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Larry,

How're you doing, you old dog. I haven't seen or heard of you since our old ASHI board of directors days. Looks like you've branched out. If you've bought the equipment for testing windows, I've gotta guess that there's a demand or else you're creating one. Either way, if it generates income or references that generate income, good for you. What's up with Greg M., Roger R., and the other bay area guys? I wish I had some information re: the AAMA spec. Finding authoratative protocols can be frustrating but necessary both for doing a good job and for hanging your hat on in your contract. Drop me a line at prospex@prospex.us and let me know how things are going.

Kevin O'Hornett

Golden, Colorado

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for a company that can pressure test our home windows. Many in the neighborhood are replacing windows because of a problem with the contractors installation. The contractor stands behind the product if you can prove the problem. I need to have them tested. I am

Located in Northwest Phoenix.

I am looking for a company that can pressure test our home windows. Many in the neighborhood are replacing windows because of a problem with the contractors installation. The contractor stands behind the product if you can prove the problem. I need to have them tested. I am

Located in Northwest Phoenix.

Go here:

http://www.acsillc.com/index.html

• 4 months later...