CAUTION

a46geo

WARNING:

Lennox has a new style of furnace (there are probably others too) that can function as either an upflow, a horizontal or a counter flow in it's application. The problem is that the name plate and the manufacturers stickers are all firmly affixed and the doors will only fit one way.

In other words, even though you may have to stand on your head to read the information, do not report that some yo-yo installed the furnace upside down.

I must admit that even though my son had warned me about this furnace, when I actually saw one installed in a house today, I was taken aback by it and my very first reaction was to write it up.

George

Originally posted by a46geo

Lennox has a new style of furnace (there are probably others too) that can function as either an upflow, a horizontal or a counter flow in it's application.

George,

How can we the unwashed determine if we happen to be looking at such a unit? Is it so rated on the label?

Brian G.

One of the Unwashed Legions

Brian,

It's a G-40 Multi position furnace

www.davelennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=g40

They can install this thing in a basement and point it up. Lay it on its side in the attic or turn it upside down in a closet. The only thing that they can't do is change the lettering.

What this means to residential HVAC guys is less inventory. I think it is just a matter of time before we start seeing a lot of these. Don't let the first one throw you....now that you have been cleansed.

My guess is that after a few complaints they will find away to have field installed tags, but only after thousands of these have been installed.

George

I remember a G-24 from ten years ago that could be flipped upside down, though I don’t think it could’ve gone sideways. With those, while the cabinet could flip, the heat exchanger couldn’t. So, if a tech wanted to do an upside down installation, he had to remove the heat exchanger and re-install it in the field. I recall that there was a label on the furnace explaining this. Do you suppose the new G-40s are the same?

Sellers called the gas company whose tech came out with a Cosmo CO detector. He wrote them out a statement on a gas company service sheet that said, “There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this furnace.â€

Jim,

I have not been on a service truck for 14 years. I never saw one of those field convertible units. What a dumb idea.

These G-40's are labeled, but I can see where on some sideways closet installation, the label would not only be upside down, it wouldn't even be visible.

I am suprised that Lennox did not offer you a job. I was tempted a couple of times. Now its too late and I sometimes wish I had gone that route. You know that was a company car he was driving?

George

Originally posted by Brian G.

They can install this thing in a basement and point it up. Lay it on its side in the attic or turn it upside down in a closet.

You know, there was this girl I knew in high school....

Brian G.

Ah Yes, When It Was All New, Strange, and Wonderful [:-bouncy]

I love this place.

Thanks Mike.

Hi George:

I’ll be 50 in 2k5.

My wife and I were just interviewed by our MetroPark Systems due to the fact that we left them in our will.

They asked why we would leave part of our estate (all $2.25) to the MetroParks and I replied that:

I use to play hockey with my friends when the creek froze.

It was a never ending source of adventure, finding toads, salamanders and the like.

I smoked my first cigarette in the park.

I held hands and kissed my first girlfriend in the park.

It was a great place to discover.

Although I am way past the “newâ€

Yes, as time marches on, it remains all still new and strange, but it becomes barely un-attainable. And yes, envy is the reason I hate you damned kids.

I knew that would draw a response from you George. Quit bitchin', you had your glory years just like the rest of us. [:D]

Brian G.

Still Snickering Myself [}:)] [:-eyebrows] [:-bonc01]