Trouble areas

Shooter Mike

1.) What part of the inspection / inspection process do you suppose get's more inspectors in "hot water" ?

2.) Looking back at your time and experience in the business, what would you have done differently?

3.) If you could change something about the business that you don't like, what would it be?

In advance, thanks for your input. I'm collecting peoples thoughts. I'm curious to know how in line I am with what others are thinking, although at this stage it's too early to draw too many conclusions.

I do have a suggestion for my thrid question, which I'm very curisous to know what you all think. If I'm way off base, please forgive me - I am new to this. Looking at state regulations for inspections, it seems that largley the only governing bodies for inspections in most states is the professional organizations which SOME inspectors belong. My opinion of this is that it has the potential to lessen the credibility and value of the business and causes the HI to work even harder to prove their wothieness.

Two things I don't understand: (1) why doesn't every single mortgage company doesn't require a home inspection prior to closing. (2) Why doesn't every home owners / renters insurance policy require an inspection?

This brings about another question: How many of you have come across issues that could be considered a serious LIABILITY if not corrected?

Again, thanks in advance for your input.

Originally posted by Shooter Mike

Two things I don't understand: (1) why doesn't every single mortgage company doesn't require a home inspection prior to closing. (2) Why doesn't every home owners / renters insurance policy require an inspection?

It's too late to tackle the others tonight, but these are easy. It's money. Inspections, good ones at least, would complicate the process and blow some deals. The mortgage company is in the business of writing and selling mortgages; for the insurance companies it's policies. Inspections are in the buyers best interests, not the mortgage or insurance companies interests.

This brings about another question: How many of you have come across issues that could be considered a serious LIABILITY if not corrected?

Everyone with more than a few jobs under their belt, I imagine. It's amazing that more god-awful accidents (and lawsuits) don't result from the ocean of crummy work being done out there every day. Job security, I call it.

Brian G.

My Future's So Bright.... [8D]

1.) What part of the inspection / inspection process do you suppose get's more inspectors in "hot water" ?

My opinion: poor report writing. Often the inspector recognizes the problem and writes about it but fails to communicate the ramifications clearly.

2.) Looking back at your time and experience in the business, what would you have done differently?

Diversify. Diversify your referral base. Diversify your service menu. Diversify your geographic service area. I'd also have made friends with my competitors sooner.

3.) If you could change something about the business that you don't like, what would it be?

If someone appointed me King tomorrow, the first thing I'd do is prohibit real estate agents from referring home inspectors. The next thing I'd do is force all home inspectors to belong to the same home inspector organization and I'd abolish all others. After that, I'd establish a professional designation for home inspectors modeled after that for professional engineers. (including undergraduate and graduate degrees followed by an intership period and, ultimately, approval by a regional oversight body)

Two things I don't understand: (1) why doesn't every single mortgage company doesn't require a home inspection prior to closing.

Because they're even more avaricious than real estate agents.

(2) Why doesn't every home owners / renters insurance policy require an inspection?

Hush! If they did, we'd be in a constant state of subrogation hell.

Um, everyday?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

1.) 2.) Looking back at your time and experience in the business, what would you have done differently?

Gotten more formal training in my 'weak' areas rather than "punting" for the first few years. I'm embarassed (and a bit scared) of some of my old work.

The perception that the service we provide is something that anyone can do - in other words, the lowest bidder.

1.)

1) Mortgage companies bundle & sell off their paper to the secondary & tertiary markets within minutes of closing; they don't care a rats ass about the condition of the property.

2) If insurance companies knew what was in a house, they'd never write a single policy; they don't want to know. Can't know.