Drain valve for FHW Boiler

NewInspector

I've been on a few inspections now and I've come across this system on a couple of occasions. The valve to drain the boiler is at the bottom of the unit about 2" or so above the floor. It is probably not a concern but looks a little cumbersome so low to the floor. I suppose draining is usually done with a hose hookup so this is a non-issue.

That is where the drain valve is supposed to be on a cast iron boiler. It usually is higher on a steel boiler with a dry base. It is not a homeowner maintenance type valve and is only used when the system would need to be drained for some reason. It would require a hose or small pump (if there is no floor drain or sump pump to take the water). There is no reason to call out or talk about this valve unless it is leaking or has had a cap put on from a past leak. You should never attempt to test it.

Yea they used to tell me to drain those once a year during the off season when I was doing bldg maintenance.They would leak for a while then eventually close off from rust.These were 100 year old kewanee coal steam boilers.Definatly do not test unless your ready to pay for a new valve.