In the spring and summer months clients tend to point out the wasp nests under the eaves and want them written up for removal.

Is the reporting of wasp nests at all construed to be reported on under say the ASHI SOP?

Do you report wasp nests as a matter of practice?

What do you recommend for remediation? A careful DIY could do it but man I can see some dummy getting stung and getting hurt and comming back to blame the inspector for advising him that it was OK for him to try and do it.

Chris, Oregon

I'm not afraid of snakes and have handled my share of poisonous ones but you won't find me trying to remove a den. I just point bees nests out as a potential safety hazard and recommend that they have them removed by an "exterminator." If somone is allergic to bee stings and still dumb enough to screw around by trying to remove a bees nest, he or she deserves the consequences.

OT - OF!!!

M.

P.S.

Why a "potential" safety hazard?

You can walk by a bees nest for years and never get stung, as long as you leave them alone and they aren't those danged bald-faced hornets.

If you're the type who never works on your own home, the likelihood (and thus the potential) that you'll ever get close enough to get stung is practically nil. However, if you're the type who wants to be hands-on, the likelihood of getting stung, and thus its presence as a potential safety hazard, is increased.

(Well, it seemed to make sense when I started typing it.)

I only report wasp nests if they're in a place where someone might accidently come in contact with them, or if they keep me from inspecting something. They're part of the scenery down here, so I always carry a can of spray, but sometimes I look at one of those pie plate sized nests in a place where I can't really run and say "Nah...someone else can do that one".

Brian G.

From the Land of Hummingbird-Sized Red Wasps [:-scared][;)]

I always have a can of wasp spray in my truck, and I will go through a case of it during the summer months. If I find wasp nest, and like Brian if they don't look like a dinner plate or basket ball I will spray them. This is more for my protection.

What I hate are all of the blooming plants that folks have around their homes, like Holly and Ligustrum bushes. They are full of honey bees and other stinging critters when they are in bloom.

In the spring and summer months clients tend to point out the wasp nests under the eaves and want them written up for removal.

I've had lots of customers ask if those nests were a problem, but I've never had anyone ask me to put them in the report.

If it's a yellowjacket nest, I always recommend removing it. Those are some bad characters.

If it's just the open comb polistes nests, I don't worry about them unless they're close to a location where people will regularly pass. They're beneficial insects and fairly docile, as wasps go. I've brushed up against their nests without being stung.

Is the reporting of wasp nests at all construed to be reported on under say the ASHI SOP?

Absolutely not.

Do you report wasp nests as a matter of practice?

Not unless it's a yellowjacket nest.

What do you recommend for remediation? A careful DIY could do it but man I can see some dummy getting stung and getting hurt and comming back to blame the inspector for advising him that it was OK for him to try and do it.

Chris, Oregon

I recommend a pest contractor. That's what those guys do.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

They're beneficial insects and fairly docile, as wasps go. I've brushed up against their nests without being stung.
They are about as docile as a woman in her third trimester in August! The docile strain must me a Left Coast thing! We have the famous Red Nuclear Wasp! They have built in tracking radar and they track your every move. Then "BAM" they hit!

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Red wasp.jpg

45.98 KB

Originally posted by Scottpat

They're beneficial insects and fairly docile, as wasps go. I've brushed up against their nests without being stung.
They are about as docile as a woman in her third trimester in August! The docile strain must me a Left Coast thing! We have the famous Red Nuclear Wasp! They have built in tracking radar and they track your every move. Then "BAM" they hit!
I'm speaking of the species in Western Oregon. I'm sure that southern wasps are a whole 'nuther deal. The one's in your picture look as if they're related to Satan.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I don't typically report insects unless they appear to be damaging the house or would be a specific hazard to the residents. I will point out the nest as we do the walk-thru.

We have a wide variety of the little buggers here and it is just a normal part of home ownership.

As far as "beneficial" all stinging biting insect go in the same class as snakes with me, and that means, "the only good snake is a dead snake". I know, I know, they do good things for us and are part of nature, but I don't like them close to me!

Originally posted by fqp25

Originally posted by Bob White

Anybody carry fabric softener sheets with'em when they inspect?

Do you mean rub yourself with "Bounce" or just carry them with you? That's a new one to me...

Since I read about the practice, I just put a sheet in my toolbelt along with my other HI stuff.

As it gets warmer and the buggers get more active, I'm thinking about rigging a sheet on a pole and waving it as I move in to enemy territory.

Originally posted by Bob White

Anybody carry fabric softener sheets with'em when they inspect?

Not on purpose...[:-bigeyes

I've had people ask me to write it up. My answer... It's not a structural/mechanical issue and they're not wood destroying insects. If you really want the sellers to remove it that bad, tell your attorney. I really try not to be the laundry list guy, some people can really get out of hand with that stuff.

Originally posted by Scottpat

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Red wasp.jpg

45.98 KB

They look a lot like the ones we have around here. Only time they bother you is when you start messing with the nest. I love sitting in the garden and watching them fly around in pairs like little fighter squadrons hunting insects. Hell I try and encourage them around my house... better then spraying pestacides all over my veggies.

Whats really funny is when I'm splitting fire wood. Get a log full of termites... I just toss the halves off to the side and within minutes there are squadrons of yellow jackets stuffing their faces & carrying them off. I pull up a stump and watch and they don't bother me at all.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

The one's in your picture look as if they're related to Satan.

Ha! That's an entirely fair approximation. The red & black are second cousins of said entity, but the mostly orange are little brothers. Next time I see some of those I'll try to get a nice shot of one for you (using maximum zoom).

Brian G.

Now This May Sting A Little..... [:-bigeyes