stairs cut into landing? help please

Renron

I have to agree with General Lee about the short railing, but if it were in my house I wouldn't install it. It would only pinch the access to the stairs, and my wife likes to move the furniture around occasionally.

Brian G.

Anybody Wanna Help Next Time? [:-irked]

Unprotected opening at stairwell landing.

I would choose my words carefully and include a photo in the report.

Regardless of any code, I wouldn't want the conversation if a child walked off the platform and down 13.5 risers.

My .745 cents

On my Saturday inspection I had the same thing. I called it out as in need of protection.

Realtor said it was permitted as in they got a permit for the second story.

I also called out the the ac was not working.

Realtor said that it was not working efficiently.

I called out electrical panel was sealed and with cabinet in front of panel.

Realtor said why would you want to get into the panel? (to see inside)

I called for an engineer because of the house separating from two additions.

Realtor said I was too picky.

Captain

Originally posted by allspec33351

On my Saturday inspection I had the same thing. I called it out as in need of protection.

I also called out the the ac was not working.

Realtor said that it was not working efficiently.

I called out electrical panel was sealed and with cabinet in front of panel.

Realtor said why would you want to get into the panel? (to see inside)

I called for an engineer because of the house separating from two additions.

Realtor said I was too picky.

Boo-hoo, poor realtor.

Brian G.

Local Deal-Killing, Nit-Picking, Unfair Inspector [}:)]

• 2 weeks later...

If the general public only realized how much we try to protect them from themselves.

I do not agree having a permit for the second floor would cover the missing safety feature. For one thing the permit for the second floor hopefully was "design reviewed" by the permit issuing department. Secondly most permit issuances carry a small print declaration stating the work has been reviewed and a permit issued but final approval is based on field inspection of the completed work. If the permit issuing department has already "final field inspected" the installation and passed it (which is why I have little faith in many code enforcement inspectors) I would still point it out and report it in writing. (If hauled into court as a witness I would prefer to defend my actions of reporting it than to explain why I didn't) As for the realtor's comments when did they become inspector's anyway (except when it protected their meal ticket and commission?)

Originally posted by allspec33351

I called it out as in need of protection.

Captain

At the begining of my reports I have a little statement that says something to the effect:"If the property owner, a representative of the property owner or agent for the property owner has made a statement/s pertaining to some situation regarding the property, such as a system condition or age of a component, those statements may be incorporated into this report."

After a couple of years of putting all the "stupid" statements agents make during inspections into the reports, there are very few agents who make comments during my inspections now.

[:D]

At the begining of my reports I have a little statement that says something to the effect:"If the property owner, a representative of the property owner or agent for the property owner has made a statement/s pertaining to some situation regarding the property, such as a system condition or age of a component, those statements may be incorporated into this report."

After a couple of years of putting all the "stupid" statements agents make during inspections into the reports, there are very few agents who make comments during my inspections now.

I used to do that, but got tired of writing:

" Realtor commented on the rugged good looks of the inspector". It get embarrassing!

Originally posted by chrisprickett

I used to do that, but got tired of writing:

" Realtor commented on the rugged good looks of the inspector". It get embarrassing!

I actually had a female agent comment last week that I was the best dressed inspector she ever saw. Since I had nothing fancy on, (the usual black work boots, clean Dockers, sweater and a run of the mill wind breaker) it made me wonder what the other inspectors were wearing.

Originally posted by hausdok

Chamois loin cloth, hip waders and Old Spice.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Old Spice won't help ya, laddie......

Clean anything; blue jeans mostly, clean cargo shorts in warm weather. I tend to favor the yuppified Patagonia/Mountain Hardware/Columbia kind of fleecey shirts & jackets.

Merrill or similar type cross training shoes; I basically look like I'm advertising for REI or similar outdoor gear suppliers.

Auto is always clean @ the beginning of each work day; so am I. By the end of the day though, I'm dirt streaked & filthy. I used to wear Dockers & nice shirts, but found it counterproductive; no one cared, & I trashed too many clothes.

I'm struggling to compose a rational chain of words after having been awake for the past 24 hours. Every time I closed my eyes to try to get some much needed rest, visions of a chubby guy wearing a chamois loin cloth and hip waders, reeking of Old Spice took over my near sleep state. Here's the image that wreaked havoc to my psyche:

Above mentioned vision in a swirling ethereal fog, bent over plugging a sure test into a floor mounted receptacle.

I'm glad now that I never did acid or I'd believe that this was the flashback from hell.