Follow-up On AFCI Thread

dtontarski

What's the standard reporting practice with missing AFCI breakers in home's built since they were required by NEC?

I see from the last thread that these are often removed soon after home's are built. I inspected a year old home today with no AFCI's in the panel. Do I write this up? As this seems like a common observation - does anyone have a standard report comment that they would be willing to share?

Originally posted by dtontarski

What's the standard reporting practice with missing AFCI breakers in home's built since they were required by NEC?

I see from the last thread that these are often removed soon after home's are built. I inspected a year old home today with no AFCI's in the panel. Do I write this up? As this seems like a common observation - does anyone have a standard report comment that they would be willing to share?

An arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) is a type of electrical safety device that's supposed to reduce the risk of fires that start from electrical sparks (arcs). The National Electrical Code (NEC) has required AFCIs to be installed on bedroom electrical circuits for several years now. This home has no AFCIs. After careful research and consideration, I believe that AFCIs are about as effective as tits on a hen and that their presence in the NEC is the result of lobbying by manufacturers wishing to sell lots of expensive, ineffective, poorly designed devices that lacked sufficient research and development before they were rushed to market. Of course, I recommend installing plenty of these expensive, useless devices in all of the locations required by the NEC because my lawyer has instructed me to avoid controversial recommendations in my reports.

-Jim Katen, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Jim has been lusting after one of these lenses for so long we should take up a collection and go snatch one up on ebay for him. So he'll start thinking about his wife and family again [:D]

OT - OF!!!

M.

No, if I ever get that lens, the next one on my list is the 17mm SMC Fisheye. . .

- Jim Katen

Originally posted by StevenT

Jim,

I never imagined you as controversial.

By the way, are you an old camera buff. (old cameras). I have some equpitment you might like(good stuff), I'll email you a description. If you have interest, I'm sure we can work it out.

No one's ever called me buff, but I do like certain old cameras - mostly stuff from the 30s through the 70s. What have you got?

Jim Katen, Oregon

jim@benchmarkinspections.com