Spliced SEC - Grounding Question

dtontarski

I inspected a seasonal home today with lots of homeowner improvements (its going to be a long report).

The home has a 2 AL SEC entering a box where it is spliced and then run to 2-separate 100 AMP service panels. I've never seen a SEC spliced like this before. Providing this is an allowable splice (though two fully loaded 100 AMP panels drawing through a 2 AL doesn't seem right to me), wouldn't both panels be defined as service panels requiring their own GEC's? (Currently, only one panel has GEC's on its ground bar)

There are numerous double-taps and water leaking from the SEC junction box onto the top of one of the panels and many other issues that require further evaluation by a professional, but I was curious about this splice, and lack of GEC. I'm looking for opinions on this set up and any suggestions on how to comment on it. Thanks.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Copy of Mike 111.jpg

132.47 KB

I've seen several done similarly to that, but all were 200 amps. The gutter at the top isn't home made, it's a standard interior gutter. One doesn't generally see many gutters in residential work.

I can't say I'm up on the rules about sizing an arrangement like that, but those I've seen were usually just one size larger on the wire than I would've expected to see for one panel of the same size. The splices themselves look pretty typical: split bolts and heavy rubber taping.

I think the electrician may have felt that the bonding between the enclosures (via the gutter & pipe nipples) made running the ground wire to both unnecessary, but for myself I would perfer to see a bonding wire run from one panels' neutral bar to the other, just to be sure.

Water getting in is a significant problem, and is more than enough reason to recommend having an electrician come in for a good looksee and repairs. I would state my concerns and make the recommendation without any specifics I wasn't absolutely certain of.

Brian G.

My Mind Is In the Gutter [;)]

Originally posted by dtontarski

. . . The home has a 2 AL SEC entering a box where it is spliced and then run to 2-separate 100 AMP service panels. I've never seen a SEC spliced like this before.

The box is called a gutter. It's quite common to use a gutter for exactly this purpose. Those splices are generally made up with split bolts wrapped in a bunch of tape. Sometimes, because the wires are large and reluctant to stay put, you'll find slats of wood jammed in there to keep the wires in place.

Providing this is an allowable splice (though two fully loaded 100 AMP panels drawing through a 2 AL doesn't seem right to me),

I believe that the service conductors can be sized for the calculated load in this instance. I don't have a cite - just going by memory, so don't take it as gospel.

wouldn't both panels be defined as service panels requiring their own GEC's? (Currently, only one panel has GEC's on its ground bar)

I agree with you. 250.24(A) seems to clearly require the GEC "at each service." Some AHJs seem to accept the conduit in lieu of the GEC (as Brian pointed out).

There are numerous double-taps and water leaking from the SEC junction box onto the top of one of the panels and many other issues that require further evaluation by a professional,

Why evaluation? Why not call for correction?

but I was curious about this splice, and lack of GEC. I'm looking for opinions on this set up and any suggestions on how to comment on it. Thanks.

The splices are fine.

I think the GEC is wrong but other, very qualified people, think it's fine. Sorry to be so un-definitive.

- Jim Katen, Oregon