solenoid type lighting systems

It is still a lighting system for a home and it does have normal household voltage on the other side of the solenoid. I simply tell my clients that this is a unique system that is no longer produced and that if they do have a problem they will need to find an electrician the is familiar with it. I seldom find much wrong with this type of system other than a stuck solenoid.

There are only a very few areas around here where these systems were used extensively. When I find them I point out that replacement parts are getting harder to find...as are electricians familiar with them. Replacement solenoids are still available, but that has to be a diminishing market. Who knows what the availability and cost will be in 5, 10 or 20 years. My interpretation is that the system saved $$ initially for the builder by using light gauge wire in places. Good for the builder initially; not so good for subsequent purchasers of a system which never really caught on. Mostly what I see is a lot of "hybrid" systems where the system is abandoned, piecemeal, as the solenoids die.

This wiring was "piecemealed" together. About half of the main floor was standard wiring and the other half low voltage-- looked like they were slowly replacing low voltage wiring as things went bad.

That being said, I just made a note in the report that it existed and it looked like much of the system had been replaced with 120v, etc.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Scottpat

. . . I simply tell my clients that this is a unique system that is no longer produced and that if they do have a problem they will need to find an electrician the is familiar with it. I seldom find much wrong with this type of system other than a stuck solenoid.

The exact equipment from the 1950s & 1960s systems might no longer be available, but modern versions of these systems are still produced. You could install one tomorrow if you cared to.

-Jim Katen, Oregon