Replacing vinyl siding from hail damage

Jeepers

Got some hail damage on my vinyl siding. When siding person replaced some strips of siding, it looks much shinier than the existing siding. My old siding is 10 years old. I have tried using a siding cleaner on it to make it shiny too, but still is very noticable. Does anyone have a solution to downplay the shine on the new siding, or make the surrounding siding more shiny, or has anyone used a product to clean siding that really works?

You could have saved some of the original siding from 10 years ago so that you know that you had an exact match and would still have the same issue. I didn't read the entire article that Mike suggested because it requires a subscription to their web site but I don't know of anything that will bring back the shiny surface. In the past I have removed the siding from one entire side and replaced it with new siding then used the good pieces to do the repairs elswehere as needed. There will most likely still be a difference in the appearance due to different degrees of sunlight, weather, etc. but it is usually less noticable.

Hi,

The link is about a siding conditioning product that removes the chalk from the surface of the PVC and brings out the original color. I also read about a new vinyl siding sealant that's used to seal the vinyl and bring back the semi-gloss look once the siding has been cleaned. I used to have an article here about it, but I can't find it. I found that link by googling "reviving vinyl siding."

OT - OF!!!

M.

You are right Scott, they would only pay to replace the 3 pieces on the south side that had holes in them. I guess I could send pictures and make a fuss, showing that it looked bad, but with so little damage, I really doubt they would pay to reside the whole house. (It is rather large) And even if they sided just the one side, the way my house is built, it still would be noticable.

Thanks everyone for your input, I will keep searching for a product that will put the shine back on the surrounding siding without having to go to a great expense. If not, guess will have to live with it.

• 1 year later...

You are right Scott, they would only pay to replace the 3 pieces on the south side that had holes in them. I guess I could send pictures and make a fuss, showing that it looked bad, but with so little damage, I really doubt they would pay to reside the whole house. (It is rather large) And even if they sided just the one side, the way my house is built, it still would be noticable.

Thanks everyone for your input, I will keep searching for a product that will put the shine back on the surrounding siding without having to go to a great expense. If not, guess will have to live with it.

The insurance company will still pay for it, siding has a five year fade factor. if the insurance company will not work with you then try to find a contractor who is versed in working with insurance companies or file a formal complaint to receive a supplemental