Repair & Proper repair

There's really few things more entertaining than a veiled insult in writing.

It's very hard to do properly; if it's clumsy, pointed, or even a tiny bit undisguised, it loses all humor and wit, and the writer becomes conspicuously exposed as a malcontent.

Personally, I never use the word "bud".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never fails; discussions about report writing here always seem to stir up a little bit of contentiousness. I've always chalked it up to the fact that most of us in this business are old farts who chafe at being contradicted. Sure, we say we're open to criticism, but inside that criticism is like sand in our shorts.

Take it easy, Guys; it's all good.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by AHI

Sometimes the same credible sources contradict themselves. They almost never admit it. The problem with this is when they believe they are always right, they are no longer learning.

WJ, I think you are jumping to conclusions when you suggest that instructors at my HI school crammed passive voice inspector speak down my throat. I had been hanging out here for over a month before I set foot in that class. With the advice I got here, perhaps it was I who taught them a few things about report writhing. But wait, I suppose you believe that is impossible. Think again bud......

Well, somebody dosed you up on passive voice, and other peculiar notions about communicating. It's OK with me; reporting in passive voice and ignoring one's repeated errors eventually leads to a eureka day.

I don't doubt for a moment that you could teach HI instructors something about writing. Heck, my Basset hound Rufus could teach some of the ITA guys a thing or two.

More importantly: I thank you sincerely for the gift of the malapropism, "report writhing." That describes perfectly the way many HIs write. A man can't have too many colorful phrases...

Your bud,

WJ

I made a mistake and you caught it. I will be honest. I had to look up the meaning of both malapropism and writhing. It was a simple spelling mistake, not a malapropism. You knew that. You called it what you knew it was not. Is that what happens in court?

There are probably enough different angles of approach to destroy just about any writing. It just depends on what choice of action the attacker wants to take. Many writings can be improved but that does not mean they are mis-leading or insufficient.

My writing can use improvement and I don't mind being criticized. If its worthy of criticism than its at least worthy of something.

Les, I went to Building Specs in Stevensville MD. I don't want to mention names but do you know anybody over there? The instructor was a great guy and I learned a great deal from him about inspecting homes. Walter is correct in that passive voice were the examples that were projected upon us with regard to writing things up. I did not call it out but just went along with the program. When I had chances to give examples I used what I had learned here and tried not to speak or write in passive voice.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by AHI

O.C.A.

Observe, Concern, Action.....

Its a 3 step process to writing up a problem. I am just mentioning this known method since Chris asked for opinions on examples how to write something up.

1. Observe; describe the problem

2. Concern; say why it is a problem

3. Action; say what should be done to correct it

It is a 3 stage process but that does not mean you need 3 separate sentences to do it. Sometimes it reads better if done in one or two sentences.

Maybe so. But not in the example below.id="blue">

The whatzit is damaged which can cause a problem with______.

That's unclear, and contains a syntax glitch. "The whatzit is damaged which?" I think a quick edit would've picked that up...

This time, four short sentences would be better: The whatzit is damaged. (Add sentence of description here.) This can cause problems with... Fix the whatzit."

Simply put, a short sentence or two (or three) is much more effective than a long sentence that's booby-trapped with misplaced words.

I think HIs who are working on their reporting chops would get the best results by taking unnecessary words out. It's like picking up the sticks before you start pushing the lawn mower.

WJid="blue">

The OAR approach to narrative report writing:

Observation: Paint a picture describing what you see with unbiased words, like a photograph.

Analysis: Report your opinion regarding your observation based on your knowledge and training.

[^]Recommendation: Give your client direction.

Bob Mulloy

www.allsafehomeinspection.com

• 4 weeks later...

To summarize this post, if an HI says "repair" it implies that it be done right.

If we agree on that then does it really matter if we have some statement in the report that defines what the HI means by repair?

I have had such a statement in my report in different forms for years but it's never made any difference as far as I can tell.

I want to remove it on the basis it's unnecessary. What do you think?

Chris, Oregon