Repair & Proper repair

Thanks, Mike, for the nod. (I do periodically check the Report Writing area since that's my main interest. But I have avoided commenting on spelling/writing mistakes because I don't want to be annoying.)

Thanks WJ (SonOfSwamp) for noticing that passive voice is a poor way of writing! As for the original question, repair or proper repair, it seems to me as a layperson that you could solve the problem by being more specific. For example, if the roof is caving in, say something like "The roof is caving in. I recommend that a roofer examine and fix x, y and z." The word "repair" seems a bit vague to me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonnie,

If you've got the time and don't mind doing it, you can correct me anytime you want. I'd rather be a little embarrassed and vexed with myself here, than have a client sitting somewhere reading one of my reports and thinking to himself, "What a maroon!"

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hmm, fix, repair, correct ... Interesting. The meaning of these words as I think of them are probably not the same as my clients. If "fix" conveys something more to Bonnie then "repair" maybe I need to rethink my definitions and go do what Walter said and go ask 8th graders and little old ladies what these words really mean and revise my lexicon?

My definition of repair might be to have the best qualified contractor that you can afford to hire, fix the problem and alert the master (hopefully it's the buyer and not the seller) if any other significant defects are discovered.

But I doubt that is what "repair" means to my clients. I know that it doesn't mean that to the sellers.

Chris, Oregon

Originally posted by hausdok

Ah, Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie,

Caught you there; you're Brit roots are showing.

Guess I can't hep my birthplace!

Oops, Mike, you're or your?

Think Bugs Bunny, when Bugs is chuckling to himself about some doofus thing that Elmer Fudd has just done and says, "What a maroon!" obviously meaning moron.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Hmm, fix, repair, correct ... Interesting. The meaning of these words as I think of them are probably not the same as my clients. If "fix" conveys something more to Bonnie then "repair" maybe I need to rethink my definitions and go do what Walter said and go ask 8th graders and little old ladies what these words really mean and revise my lexicon?

Chris, Oregon

You're right that these are synonyms. Fix seems a bit less formal. I guess I meant it's better to be as specific as possible about what to repair/fix. Just ignore me on that, but don't ignore me on these writing errors: the meaning... is (not are); the meaning is ... not the same as my clients (that's not an apples to apples comparison; you're comparing meaning to clients); and than, not then. :)

There was also a question about whether to repair inherently means repair properly. I think a repair can be done improperly, but it seems obvious that when an HI writes "repair xyz" he means do it right. When I edit something, I try to edit it properly, so I promise my clients copyediting services, not proper copyediting services.

Originally posted by Bonnie Trenga

Ah, Bonnie, Bonnie, Bonnie,

Caught you there; you're Brit roots are showing.

Guess I can't hep my birthplace!

Oops, Mike, you're or your?

Think Bugs Bunny, when Bugs is chuckling to himself about some doofus thing that Elmer Fudd has just done and says, "What a maroon!" obviously meaning moron.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

D'oh! I'm going to have to change my Avatar to one of Homer Simpson.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Originally posted by Chris Bernhardt

Chris, Oregon

You're right that these are synonyms. Fix seems a bit less formal. I guess I meant it's better to be as specific as possible about what to repair/fix. Just ignore me on that, but don't ignore me on these writing errors: the meaning... is (not are); the meaning is ... not the same as my clients (that's not an apples to apples comparison; you're comparing meaning to clients); and than, not then. :)

There was also a question about whether to repair inherently means repair properly. I think a repair can be done improperly, but it seems obvious that when an HI writes "repair xyz" he means do it right. When I edit something, I try to edit it properly, so I promise my clients copyediting services, not proper copyediting services.

Yeah,

I probably should have qualified what I wrote about a proper repair by explaining that I only say that when it's obvious that something has already been repaired and was repaired wrong, so I emphasize that it needs to be done again; only this time properly, by someone who knows what he's doing - not the person who'd repaired it previously.

In other words, if I see a roof that needs to be cleaned, I'll write, "Clean the roof," but if I see a roof that's obviously been cleaned and the job wasn't done well, or was done incorrectly, I'll say something like, "Have the roof cleaned properly, not by the same person who's been maintaining it.

Sometimes I don't even need to say that, because I say things like, "The guy who installed this gas furnace needs to have his head examined because it's unsafe. I found......" In a situation like that, the reader should understand implicitly that he's going to want to have someone else correct it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

. . . The guy who installed this gas furnace needs to have his head examined because it's unsafe. . .

So, Bonnie, it seems to me that the sentence above contains a misplaced modifier. (Assuming that Mike intended to say that the furnace was unsafe, not the head.)

Yet I don't see the classic "that" or "who" preceding the modifier “because it's unsafe.â€

Hey Jim.

It's not a misplaced modifier. It's more of an ambiguous sentence. The pronoun it could refer to head or furnace. It would probably be prudent to repeat the noun to avoid this ambiguity. It's not really wrong, though, Homer.

A misplaced modifier might be:

Hungry, all that work on the furnace revved up my appetite.

Thanks, Mike, for the nod. (I do periodically check the Report Writing area since that's my main interest. But I have avoided commenting on spelling/writing mistakes because I don't want to be annoying.)

Bonnie, I feel your pain. A lot of folks -- especially middle-aged ones -- get riled quickly when one points out spelling/grammar/syntax/logic mistakes.

But since you're here in HI-writing land, let me gently point out: Common HI-writing mistakes can -- and do -- put a big hole in an errant HI's credibility. For instance, it's not unusual for HIs to mix up homonyms. In everyday work, we might need to write a report that contains several instances of the words cite, site and sight. If an HI gets these words mixed up repeatedly, he won't look so good to his readers.

There are also technical things that trip up HI spelling. For instance, trusses have chords, which many HIs call "cords." Electrical panels have buses, which many HI call "busses."

Long story short, you are doing the HI biz a huge favor if/when you point out that spelling matters, especially when one is giving advice on six- and seven-figure deals.

WJ

Not that I want to be Mr. Nitpick, but writing up problems in passive voice, for instance, "Drip cap flashing is recommended along the top horizontal ledges of all window trims," may come naturally in your writing. That's not unusual with HIs.

However, passive voice is the most-used tool in the writing toolbox of HIs who want to soften up descriptions, recommendations, etc. Passive voice, by nature, avoids clean explanations, derails the readers' trains of thought, and generally fuzzes up what the HI is trying to say.

I will not completely disagree with you on this one. Using passive voice in my example just makes sense to me. If I see something that does need repaired you will not see the passive voice come out.

Any help with changing the wording in my post would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

. . . The guy who installed this gas furnace needs to have his head examined because it's unsafe. . .

So, Bonnie, it seems to me that the sentence above contains a misplaced modifier. (Assuming that Mike intended to say that the furnace was unsafe, not the head.)

Yet I don't see the classic "that" or "who" preceding the modifier “because it's unsafe.â€

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Not that I want to be Mr. Nitpick, but writing up problems in passive voice, for instance, "Drip cap flashing is recommended along the top horizontal ledges of all window trims," may come naturally in your writing. That's not unusual with HIs.

However, passive voice is the most-used tool in the writing toolbox of HIs who want to soften up descriptions, recommendations, etc. Passive voice, by nature, avoids clean explanations, derails the readers' trains of thought, and generally fuzzes up what the HI is trying to say.

I will not completely disagree with you on this one. Using passive voice in my example just makes sense to me. If I see something that does need repaired you will not see the passive voice come out.

Sure.

You wrote:

Drip cap flashing is recommended along the top horizontal ledges of all window trims. Flashing was omitted at the upper level windows. I am not concerned with the lack of flashing at these windows since there is an eave overhang that will protect the upper level windows.

I would have written:

You should have so and so put drip cap flashing along the top horizontal ledges of all window trims. You don't have to put flashing above (?) the upper-level windows because the eave overhang protects these windows.

Dare I ask if you've read my book? It will help you recognize and get rid of seven common writing problems. I'd even like to work with you one on one if you take my writing class.

WJ, I agree that homophones can be a big problem. Site, sight and cite are actually homophones: words that sound the same but are spelled differently; homonyms are actually words that are spelled the same but that mean different things: bat (animal) and bat (baseball item). Funny you should mention that. I am writing an article on that very topic right now. It will be available for you to read next year in Writer's Digest Magazine (I know that sounds far away). Next week, you can read my first column online. I'll send a link when it's available.

Mike, I don't think pronouns are that much of a problem in your writing. Just make sure they clearly refer back to a noun.

Bonnie,

Thank you for the example.

I have not read your book , and it has been years since I have taken a technical writing course (back in college).

One of these days when I am done reading all the manufacturers installation requirements, code books, etc. I would love to sit down and take your class.

Some home inspectors actually need sleep. I am not sure how Mike, Jim, and the others manage to get by on as little sleep as they do. I'm pretty sure there is more than one of each of them.

Thanks again

Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

OK. You need a verb between "need" and "repaired."

Not to be all curmudgeonly, but I think it's a good idea for a writer who uses passive voice to wean himself of it. Passive voice is a little bit of a crutch and a little bit of a sharp stick in the eye...

WJ

WJ, I agree that homophones can be a big problem. Site, sight and cite are actually homophones: words that sound the same but are spelled differently; homonyms are actually words that are spelled the same but that mean different things: bat (animal) and bat (baseball item). Funny you should mention that. I am writing an article on that very topic right now. It will be available for you to read next year in Writer's Digest Magazine (I know that sounds far away). Next week, you can read my first column online. I'll send a link when it's available.

Duh. Double duh. I knew it was a homo-something. All who hate me may now feel free to remind me of the day I mixed up homonym and homophone.

WJ

OK. You need a verb between "need" and "repaired."

Not to be all curmudgeonly, but I think it's a good idea for a writer who uses passive voice to wean himself of it. Passive voice is a little bit of a crutch and a little bit of a sharp stick in the eye...

I know I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to my writing-- it has been my worst subject since middle school. Please feel free to nail me on errors in any of my posts. Just keep in mind you will probably have to beat it into my head.

Sometimes the same credible sources contradict themselves. They almost never admit it. The problem with this is when they believe they are always right, they are no longer learning.

WJ, I think you are jumping to conclusions when you suggest that instructors at my HI school crammed passive voice inspector speak down my throat. I had been hanging out here for over a month before I set foot in that class. With the advice I got here, perhaps it was I who taught them a few things about report writhing. But wait, I suppose you believe that is impossible. Think again bud......