missing paint on furnace at flue connection

CheckItOut

Furnace is located in crawl space and is connected to the evaporator box. Paint has been heated or burned off on some spots at the flue connection. Area is rusted now. I was going to recommend an eval by a mechanical contractor due to the potential of an exhaust leak. I've never seen this before so I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

I think its normal for a surface that gets really hot such as a flue connection to loose a bit of paint. In a crawl space there is naturally humidity which will then cause surface rust on the exposed metal surface.

Are we talking just surface rust? If so then I cannot identify a specific problem based on the information you have given.

If the metal is still solid and there are no points for leakage the rust could be mentioned for monitoring over time but not mentioned as an active problem at the current time.

Its hard for me to judge the situation since I cant actually see it or touch it.

Originally posted by AHI

I think its normal for a surface that gets really hot such as a flue connection to loose a bit of paint. In a crawl space there is naturally humidity which will then cause surface rust on the exposed metal surface.

Are we talking just surface rust? If so then I cannot identify a specific problem based on the information you have given.

If the metal is still solid and there are no points for leakage the rust could be mentioned for monitoring over time but not mentioned as an active problem at the current time.

Its hard for me to judge the situation since I cant actually see it or touch it.

Thanks. Wish I could attach a pic but the file size is way too big and I no longer have a jpg shrinkage program...

You should be able to reduce the size just using windows functions. Try this;

pull up a picture

right click on it and select "edit"

on the top bar select "image"

then select stretch/skew

then type in the new parameters IE 25% x 25% and click "OK"

then go to the top tool bar again and select "file"

select "save as" name the new file and click save

Another thing you can do is change the settings on your camera if it has the ability to let you. You don't need the max resolution to be effective. I set my cam on the lowest res setting and I can't tell the difference. This way the file sizes are small from the beginning and dont need any resizing for fast and easy transfer, printing or whatever.