From Robert Bruss

Why recommend ASHI?

Q. Why do you always recommend home buyers hire inspectors who belong to the American Society of Home Inspectors? I am a professional home inspector, formerly a home builder, who chooses not to become an ASHI member because of their outrageous requirements. There are several other excellent home inspection organizations which have equally competent inspector members. Does ASHI pay you? ASHI does not pay me to recommend their fine national organization. Non-ASHI members like you often complain that I don't mention their home inspection organizations.

There are many inspectors who are not ASHI members. However, I know of no other nationwide group that has such high membership standards. Do you?

Unfortunately, some realty agents often recommend non-ASHI home inspectors who are known as easy non-deal killers. But home buyers need tough, honest inspectors who will thoroughly inspect homes and report to buyers the facts discovered.

REAL ESTATE QUESTION?

Questions should be mailed to Robert Bruss, 251 Park Road, Burlingame, CA 94010. Or, to e-mail questions, go to www.bobbruss.com and click on "Ask Bob a Question."

Robert

Bruss

email this print this

Originally posted by mcramer

Unfortunately, some realty agents often recommend non-ASHI home inspectors who are known as easy non-deal killers. But home buyers need tough, honest inspectors who will thoroughly inspect homes and report to buyers the facts discovered.

It's a lovely endorsement Mark, but everyone here knows it isn't that simple by a longshot. A lot of RE agents recommend inspectors who are known as "easy non-deal killers" whether they are ASHI or not. More than a few ASHI inspectors have complained about their own local ASHI bucketheads on this site and ASHI's own. No organization is immune, and percentages are impossible to argue.

Having said that, if one had to throw a dart at a board one could do much worse and probably no better elsewhere (IMHO).

So exactly what was the topic / issue / question here?

Brian G.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - to be fair to all parties I'd like to throw in a little food for thought.

As a 26 year veteran home inspector and inspection trainer, that has done 3 tours on ASHI's National BOD, and been President of 2 different ASHI Chapters here are some thoughts.

When I joined ASHI in 1984, they were the only NATIONAL Show in town. Their Standards were the ones we all strived to emulate. Their entry requirements in 1984 were stiff. It took 1,000 inspections, the tests, and an on-site Peer Review of other ASHI Members to become designated a "Senior Member" of ASHI. There used to be 5 categories of membership in ASHI. At one time there were 3 Tests to pass for ASHI membership.

That was then - this is today. Today there are several National or State Associations that although not as well know as ASHI, have Standards, Tests, etc that are more user friendly, more stringent, etc than ASHI's.

As an example, several recent graduates of our training classes have taken both the ASHI/NHIE Test and the NAHI CRI exam in the same month and told us the NAHI test was more stringent.

In a college class I teach, we use the ASHI and NAHI Standards for our students (homebuyers mostly). They almost unaimously choose the NAHI Standards as easier to read and understand.

As far as the quality of Home Inspectors go - 4 of the worst 5 home inspectors I know in my area are long time ASHI Members.

Bottom Line - We all owe a lot to ASHI for developing Industry Standards and getting our profession up and running - BUT ASHI is no longer the ONLY show in town.

Dan Bowers, CRI

ASHI #1038

• 1 year later...