Amendments to GA HI Law Await Gov's Signature

hausdok

Kenmore, WA

A bill to amend existing state laws and establish a State Licensing Board of Home Inspectors, establish criteria for that board and establish additional rules for home inspectors in the state of Georgia has been passed by both the Georgia House and the Georgia Senate and is currently waiting Gov. Sonny Perdue's signature. If signed into law, House Bill 1217 will require that anyone practicing home inspections in the State of Georgia prove by 2010 that he or she:

• Is at least 18 years of age;

Is of good moral character;

Has not been convicted of a crime that has a direct bearing on the person´s ability to perform competently and fully as a licensee;

Has successfully completed high school or its equivalent;

Has:

(A) Completed a board approved course of study of no less than 80 hours that covers all of the following components of a residential building of four units or less: heating system, cooling system, plumbing system, electrical system, structural components, foundation, roof covering, exterior and interior components, and site aspects as they affect the building; or

(B)(i) Presented documentation as required by the board that he or she has been engaged in the practice of home inspection for compensation for not fewer than three years prior to the effective date of this chapter; and (ii) Performed not fewer than 100 home inspections for compensation;

Has passed a valid, reliable examination designed to test competence in home inspection practice and developed pursuant to accepted psychometric standards promulgated by the American Educational Research Association or similar organization acceptable to the board. The board shall designate such examination no later than six months after the date this chapter becomes effective.For the exact wording and details of the bill, click here.

Hi Scott,

If that's the case, they better get on the stick and put a boot up someone's butt in Atlanta because I checked their site yesterday and it was still listed as pending.

Thanks for that information, though.

Which Maryland bill was pending - had I reported that here?

That's the trouble with having 50 states and not having someone dedicated to chasing down and reporting all HI issues in every state.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi Scott,

If that's the case, they better get on the stick and put a boot up someone's butt in Atlanta because I checked their site yesterday and it was still listed as pending.

Thanks for that information, though.

Which Maryland bill was pending - had I reported that here?

That's the trouble with having 50 states and not having someone dedicated to chasing down and reporting all HI issues in every state.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

This was some cleaning up of the law (original law passed in 2002 and did not go live till last year). It had to do with the exam (October 1, 2008 effective date) and the finalization of the date. Also had some clarifications on liability insurance.

I don't have the number in front of me, but if I get some more details I will forward them.

Originally posted by hausdok

Kenmore, WA

A bill to amend existing state laws and establish a State Licensing Board of Home Inspectors, establish criteria for that board and establish additional rules for home inspectors in the state of Georgia has been passed by both the Georgia House and the Georgia Senate and is currently waiting Gov. Sonny Perdue's signature. If signed into law, House Bill 1217 will require that anyone practicing home inspections in the State of Georgia prove by 2010 that he or she:

• Is at least 18 years of age;

Is of good moral character;

Has not been convicted of a crime that has a direct bearing on the person´s ability to perform competently and fully as a licensee;

Has successfully completed high school or its equivalent;

Has:

(A) Completed a board approved course of study of no less than 80 hours that covers all of the following components of a residential building of four units or less: heating system, cooling system, plumbing system, electrical system, structural components, foundation, roof covering, exterior and interior components, and site aspects as they affect the building; or

(B)(i) Presented documentation as required by the board that he or she has been engaged in the practice of home inspection for compensation for not fewer than three years prior to the effective date of this chapter; and (ii) Performed not fewer than 100 home inspections for compensation;

Has passed a valid, reliable examination designed to test competence in home inspection practice and developed pursuant to accepted psychometric standards promulgated by the American Educational Research Association or similar organization acceptable to the board. The board shall designate such examination no later than six months after the date this chapter becomes effective.For the exact wording and details of the bill, click here.

Van Johnson, president of the Georgia Association of Realtors, said under the current system it's easy for a prospective buyer to try to scam a seller by paying someone to produce a highly critical inspection report. That report can be used to try to slash the price or back out of a deal.

huh?! [:-paperba