Corrosion on gas water heater lines

Danny Pritchard

Found this today in a condo complex.I have been here several times before in other buildings and usually found only one water heater with this corrsion.In this room all the water heaters had this buidup.Any thoughts as to the cause.This is a 7 year old condo complex.

Thanks

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Condo WH corrosion0001.jpg

82.05 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif Condo WH corrosion0002.jpg

70.08 KB

With all the solids that have precipitated on the exterior, those pipes are self sealing.

Sodium sulphate, potassium sulphate,sodium carbonate, calcium sulphate,

sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate,sodium silicate, magnesium sulphate.

All those salts would clog yer arteries too.

Originally posted by Chad Fabry

With all the solids that have precipitated on the exterior, those pipes are self sealing.

Sodium sulphate, potassium sulphate,sodium carbonate, calcium sulphate,

sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate,sodium silicate, magnesium sulphate.

All those salts would clog yer arteries too.

In just the little bit of inspection experience I have had, I have seen leaks like this seal themselves just as Chad mentions. You crud over a leak enough and it will hold like chewing gum. If it isn't a high pressure leak, which obviously it is not, then the corrosion often times will hide the signs of the original leaking.

Good call Chad!

You said you couldn't see the leak. I can't see the wind, but I can see the effects of the wind.

The corrosion is caused by a leak. (CPVC does not corrode by it self)

I would also pay attention to the way the vents are connected together. It may just be the camera angle but I don't think you have enough rise.

Thanks for the comments.I guess I was looking for someone to mention a lack of ventilation,high moisture content in the air,etc.etc.The fact that this is prevalent throughout the complex made it hard for me to accept just a leaky pipe.These pics were taken on the 3rd floor.I stopped by the 2nd floor on my way down and saw the same thing.As I said before I have been in about 4 of the buildings and they all have the same problem.I can see galvanized pipe leaking but even I can glue CPVC together and not have a leak.The plunmbing contractor must have got his license and crew from one of those internet sites.