New construction panel completly full

Mark P

Originally posted by AHIS

Its the schematic that shows the max and type of breaker.

Mark, look at the panel model # G2020. That says there is a max of twenty breakers with no tandems allowed. If it says 2030, tandems can be used for a total of thirty disconnects. The schematic will also tell you where they can be located in the panel. Lots of good info on the label, but usually they're on the inside covered with wiring.

I also thought it was required going back to around 1990 that code required new panel installs to be labeled by the installer.

I also still see some townhomes with gas service only served with 100 Amp service. The only 240 Volt circuit is the A/C. Clothes dryer, range, water heater, and furnace are all gas.

Ah yes. Gas does make the electric bill easy. I've been used to looking at 5 ton ac/heat pumps with electric back up and then all the modern appliances on top. I guess that is why I've seen so many 200A services. Larger homes with multiple all electric HVAC quite often are seen with larger than 200 amp service. Gas is good.

Originally posted by msteger

I also thought it was required going back to around 1990 that code required new panel installs to be labeled by the installer. . .

That requirement is much older. I traced it back to '65 in section 110.22. It might be pre-65 in another section.

In 1990, they reiterated the requirement in the panelboard article but the requirement didn't start then.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Looks like most electricians don't know about this. Most of the panels I see in homes from 1985 and later aren't labeled either... even some new 2008 service upgrade I've inspected this year had little to no branch circuit labeling. I always note in my reports whether the breakers or fuses are labeled and recommend all non-labeled circuits be labeled for safety reasons.

Looks like most electricians don't know about this. Most of the panels I see in homes from 1985 and later aren't labeled either... even some new 2008 service upgrade I've inspected this year had little to no branch circuit labeling. I always note in my reports whether the breakers or fuses are labeled and recommend all non-labeled circuits be labeled for safety reasons.

That's interesting. In my area, the circuits are almost always labeled, even the old fuseboxes from the '40s. Though they often say something like, "Lights & plugs."

I suspect that the difference has to do with the way that the code is enforced in each area.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I would agree.. being in PA where statewide building codes didn't exist until 2004, I see all sorts of things that would be 'banned by code' but if the home is older than 4 years old, who knows what was required when it was built. It makes inspecting homes in PA quite interesting at times. We now have IRC (currently on 2006), but most 'rural' areas (where I am located) had nothing.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately most electricians probably do know about it, they just don't care.