From franchise to independent

Robert Jones

Originally posted by bootsan

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an inspection contract. I am in Washington State.

Best I know, you want you contract written by a lawyer who is proficient in contract law and knows how the HI biz works.

Just my humble opinion, but I strongly suggest that you do not (a) write your own, or (b) use one written by a home inspector.

There are lots of generic HI contracts out there. Most of the ones I've seen are wretched.

WJ

Follow the advice of the others and have an attorney versed in real estate write your agreement. Also, look into placing an arbitration clause in your agreement this gives some added protection. I also put a phrase in there about radon and whether they want the test or not and they can check yes/no. The radon thing may seem petty, it just keeps people from coming back later and saying "you never told me blah blah.....".

Good luck.

Hi,

That's good advice Michael but Rob doesn't have to worry about Radon; the only hot spots for radon in the state of Washington are Spokane and Vancouver - none of us on Puget Sound test for radon and most, including me, don't have a clue about how to go about doing it. Too bad too, 'cuz the extra revenue from radon testing would be nice.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Michael Carson

Follow the advice of the others and have an attorney versed in real estate write your agreement. Also, look into placing an arbitration clause in your agreement this gives some added protection. I also put a phrase in there about radon and whether they want the test or not and they can check yes/no. The radon thing may seem petty, it just keeps people from coming back later and saying "you never told me blah blah.....".

Good luck.

FWIW, there are knowledgeable lawyers who tell HIs to avoid arbitration agreements. There are times when the HI is a lot better off in front of a judge. You might want to get the upside/downside on arbitration before you stick it in your contract.

WJ

Originally posted by bootsan

I am going from doing business as a franchisee to doing business as an independent. Needless to say, it is a big change and I have to purchase a reporting system, build a website, change names etc... Can anyone point me in the right direction for an inspection contract. I am in Washington State.

Thanks,

Rob

Cant you use the contract that you have been using and let a lawyer work with that?

Originally posted by SonOfSwamp

Originally posted by Michael Carson

Good luck.

FWIW, there are knowledgeable lawyers who tell HIs to avoid arbitration agreements. There are times when the HI is a lot better off in front of a judge. You might want to get the upside/downside on arbitration before you stick it in your contract.

WJ

I agree with Walter. I would say the in the 30 or so arbitration cases that I have been called in to advise folks. I have found 29 of the Arbitrators to be searching for their place on this earth at the expense of the parties involved in the arbitration. I would much rather go before a Judge and jury.

Originally posted by InspectorDan

You're welcome to use any part of my agreement. You can download it from my website. I've done a lot of inspections for lawyers and have had pretty positive feedback on it.

Dan

Same with the one I have on my site. It has been used and reviewed by many http://www.traceinspections.com/TN%20In ... eement.pdf