Recommending update to current code?

jodil

Inspected a house today of 5400 sq ft of completely outdated living space.. two 60 amp main panels and 11 subpanels .uggh... Other problems exist as well, but my question is.. How do YOU word your report in a case like this? Do you recommend an upgrade to current code and safety regulations? Do you recommend upgrading to a newer wiring system when the old WILL work? Your thoughts?

thanks

jodi

Originally posted by jodil

Inspected a house today of 5400 sq ft of completely outdated living space.. two 60 amp main panels and 11 subpanels .uggh... Other problems exist as well, but my question is.. How do YOU word your report in a case like this? Do you recommend an upgrade to current code and safety regulations? Do you recommend upgrading to a newer wiring system when the old WILL work? Your thoughts?

thanks

jodi

I'd do a quick load calc to compare the size of the service with the needs of a house of that size, outfitted as it is. If I didn't feel comfortable doing a load calc, I'd recommend than an electrician do one. I'd recommend that, if the load calc showed the service to be too small, that the service size be increased.

As for the rest, I'd identify all of the defects that I could, then I'd recommend that an electrician fix all of those as well as any others that he can find.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

"Do you recommend upgrading to a newer wiring system when the old WILL work? Your thoughts?"

Jodi, are you sure the old will work when the new family puts all sorts of different loads on the system. 120-amps for 5400sf! 11 sub-panels off of a pair of 60-amp panels!!! I think we would all be reporting this as "undersized by modern standards" and "FUBAR" in a variety of language. I'm sure you feel the same way. Your clients are paying for your opinion, so why not just give it to them.

Let me turn this back on you a bit. What do YOU think you should say?

• 1 month later...