Bonding of older homes.

Terence McCann

I'm re-reading all code check books and noticed the water tank on page 5, Fig 17.

It states "Many jurisdictions prefer to have hot, cold & gas bonded together at the hot water tank." Do any of you recommend this if it's not already there (regardless of the local muni's code?)

Also, on older homes, that were built way before todays standards, do you recommend bonding the gas, hot & cold water lines together, perhaps at the hot water tank?

Tanks.

Absolutey without fail on both recommendations.

To paraphrase a good friend, "Potential safety defects do not have the ability to read a calendar to determine whether or not they should occur." Always recommend safety upgrades regardless of the age or the code in effect at the time of building or system installation.

If the agent or listing client wants to take issue with the call, it isn't hard or doesn't take a lot of effort to make them look foolish, even to themselves. They would hate to be awakened by the KABOOM if they live close by.

Originally posted by swarga

"Potential safety defects do not have the ability to read a calendar to determine whether or not they should occur."

Consider that line stolen. I will be using it on the air on Saturday.

Please give the credit to Mr. Jerry McCarthy of San Mateo, CA.

Originally posted by rfarrell

Terry, Which Code Check book are you referring to?

Here the only bonding is at cold water piping with older services and new services require bonding of the meter box to a ground rod and bonding of the main disconnect to the water service only. Any comments?

Hello Rich:

Sorry, I should have specified which code book.

The book I was referring to is Code Check - Electrical.

I remember reading somewhere that a plumber was in a crawl space and was going over a gas pipe when he was electrocuted. If I recall correctly, the clock on the stove had a short/leak which made it's way to the gas line and that's what took the plumber out, hence bonding the gas line. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this account.

BTW, that reminds me, anyone know if I can get jpegs of the illustrations in the code check books? It would be dandy to include some of these in my computer reports, if it's allowed that is. I guess I should check with the authors first.

Tanks.

Originally posted by Jim Katen

Originally posted by crusty

Please give the credit to Mr. Jerry McCarthy of San Mateo, CA.

I thought it sounded familiar. If you see him, please send him my warm regards and invite him to stop by here for a visit.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Will do Jim.

Originally posted by Terence McCann

. . . BTW, that reminds me, anyone know if I can get jpegs of the illustrations in the code check books? It would be dandy to include some of these in my computer reports, if it's allowed that is. I guess I should check with the authors first.

Tanks.

Redwood Kardon spoke at our chapter's spring educational seminar on June 12. At that time, he said that the Code Check gang would be publishing a CD of the illustrations from the series "very soon."

As soon as I hear it's released, I'll post the info here.

- Jim Katen, Oregon