Odd pressure reducing valve

Brandon Whitmore

My bad......I've got is sized at 488 kb, and it drops down when uploaded to this site?

I can't recall having ever seen a valve like that. Pretty cool.

If you want to upload a picture that won't be re-sized, use the "upload a linked file" option. The "upload a visible picture" option resizes them downward.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Its a basket strainer. I usually only see them installed on condensate return systems for rather large steam boilers. Mueller is still making them.

Me no get. Is it a basker strainer by modern definition? Is it designed to trap gunk that's coming into the house through the water line?

Thanks Bill,

So I take it they probably installed the strainer on the pipe just before the PRV to help prevent the PRV from having issues with debris.

How often should a strainer such as this be cleaned?

Any idea on how much pressure loss to expect?

I don't think an updated public water supply would have too many large particles that this strainer was intended for. If there was a problem, inexpensive filter cartridges do the job these days.

Me no get. Is it a basker strainer by modern definition? Is it designed to trap gunk that's coming into the house through the water line?

The term "basket strainer" is now used for that thing in my kitchen sink that my wife makes me clean out, 'cuz it's too yucky.

Today, that type of basket strainer is used mostly in industrial/manufacturing, to protect steam process equipment. I don't know why someone installed that on a water line in a residence.

http://www.muellersteam.com/products.as ... 503&page=2